buying a new splitter this weekend. need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the one my buddy has is a 22 ton with a 6.5 briggs and it is as easy to start as push starting a tank:popcorn: I just sit back and watch him yank his brains out!!!

I've got one season - maybe 6 cords - on the Huskee 35 ton. So far, REAL good. Starts easily. Splits whatever. My stuff is mostly crotches and log ends, most of it on the high side of 20". The bigger stuff is 36" or so. Oak, mostly, some hickory, some locust, some poplar. It doesn't mind any of it - not even big oak crotches or that gnarly elm I got last year.

35 ton works real nice.

attachment.php

Beerman6, I don't have the part numbers. I just took the model # and the serial # of the engine to my local repair shop and they ordered the right parts to put on it.

Huh?

anyone know what this is. I found it along side the road

What do you mean? Pretty nice for just a find on the side of the road- good for you. Looks like a Timber Wolf log splitter- they make them in Rutland, VT
I hope you're just kidding

Last edited:
I guess he didn't look at your sig.

A friend of mine (who used to borrow my splitter) finally bought his own, but then loaned it out. The guy used a 1 1/2" ball when he should have used a 2". When he got home, he had to turn around and go looking for my friend's splitter; which he found along the side of the road.

The final damage was $700.

Well after hours of beating my head against a wall deciding on a splitter I had one more stop to make. I ended up buying a Troyblit 27 ton at a place called Crytzer equipment in Indiana PA. Got it out the door for the asking price of the 27 that TSC had their 27 marked at. Has log cradles a Honda motor. I used it all weekend and had NO trouble at all. Best thing I have done buying a splitter!!! Had some gnarly Oak and Fresh Cherry rounds almost 24" Pushed right through!

it's bad luck to keep anything like that... what's your address... I'll be right over to pick it up :D
Ok Ill be a waitin fer ya. I have no use for it. do you think I could make a skeet thrower out of it

Its only funny when its not you

A friend of mine (who used to borrow my splitter) finally bought his own, but then loaned it out. The guy used a 1 1/2" ball when he should have used a 2". When he got home, he had to turn around and go looking for my friend's splitter; which he found along the side of the road.

The final damage was $700.

I never really thought about it but I guess thats how you could find splitters like that on the side of the road. I dont think its funny by the way. Would it be safe to assume that the above mentioned machine never got loaned out again?
And Hanko, are you kidding again about the splitter? Skeet is cool but so is that splitter (look it up online.) Timber Wolf machines are hand welded and everything, very good qualiy- and it probably has a honda engine on it too. Whatever you decide I hope it ends up at a good home- but, if you end up doing the clay pigion thing at least thats better than it rusting in a roadside ditch. Have fun with it!

you are sooo right!!!

on my way over ... I'm even bringing you a real clay pigeon thrower to trade... you'd have to throw in a bit $$ to make things even of course... :givebeer:

Ok Ill be a waitin fer ya. I have no use for it. do you think I could make a skeet thrower out of it

Well after hours of beating my head against a wall deciding on a splitter I had one more stop to make. I ended up buying a Troyblit 27 ton at a place called Crytzer equipment in Indiana PA. Got it out the door for the asking price of the 27 that TSC had their 27 marked at. Has log cradles a Honda motor. I used it all weekend and had NO trouble at all. Best thing I have done buying a splitter!!! Had some gnarly Oak and Fresh Cherry rounds almost 24" Pushed right through!

I live near Crytzers in Kittanning. Bought a backhoe attachment off of them. Big Bill. Took him about 2 months to get it. Never thought it would come in. Had a sticky valve on the wobble stick and hardly made it home before the service guy called and said it was fixed. Good service dept.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, But i was splitting the rest of the gum up and noticed my end plate. It,s one and a half inch solid steel. i noticed some of the pictures posted were honeycombed. Don,t know why they changed it as mine a few years old. Just took a few photos to show the end plate.
chainsaws027.jpg

chainsaws025.jpg

chainsaws026.jpg

-10 C is not that cold at all up here. LOL! It's perfect weather for cutting or splitting. I agree that any splitter can be better than using a mual. The end plate on this one is cast. It is a good 1" thick at the edges but it is dished out with ribs on the back side. We were kinds suprised that it bent instead of the welds breaking. It's tough to get cast to weld good to normal mild steel. It would'nt have bent if it was solid 1" plate. It probably wouldn't have bend if we started splitting near the outside edge as opposed to going right down the middle. The pump kicked down to the second stage as soon as it hit the elm and stayed there the whole split. That's when we noticed the bent end plate.

Cheers!

Sid

It probably is cast "steel", not cast "iron"
Cast steel welds just fine with regular 7018 rods.

I have the 22 and it has split everything I have thrown at it, knotty nasty stuff included. Yeah, it will slow for a second or two and then just grunt on through. I'm not a Briggs fan but this thing has been one pull hot or cold since new. Amazing. The primer thing (no choke!!) seems to work great.

Same here Sky,

Mine is a Tecumseh 5.5 and has that primer bulb and a choke. It starts first time everytime. Even after sitting all winter, it was one pull and going. Mines 20 ton but has split everything I've thrown at it including rock maple rounds that were on the ground for 3 years and would dull a chain after just 3 rounds! This stuff is hard!
I think for the homeowner doing firewood the 5hp, 4"cyl. 11 gal pump that there are a million of out there work just fine. You can find them under a grand too. :cheers:

think for the homeowner doing firewood the 5hp, 4"cyl. 11 gal pump that there are a million of out there work just fine. You can find them under a grand too.

+1 there!

Woodlots and people with big rounds might want bigger, especailly with 4 ways , but I think most people focus on big splitters that split 100% of everything they can ever possibly see. Great, but heavy and SLOW on the 98% wood. IMO, most homeowner users are far better off with 4 inch cylinders, the 18-22 tons (depending on marketing BS. they are all the same actual force.) something they can push around by hand, and that cycles faster. To me that is the most wood on the truck at the end of the day. If 5% of the tough stuff went in the ditch, I don't care. I got more wood home in the same time.

Course, I'd go 13 gpm with 5 or 6 hp, or 16 gpm and bigger engines if available. That is more speed.

Remember, cylinder bore diameter and pressure are force. Pump size or engine rpm are speed. Idling down an engine slows the speed, but should NOT reduce the force in tons. A bigger pump takes more hp to turn it because flow times pressure is horsepower.

k

I bought the 22 ton Huskee and it starts/works great. One thing about the 22 is I can roll it around by hand which makes positioning and storing a breeze. That 35 is a beast that would require a vehicle every time you move it. The 27 is heavy too and has a slower cycle time than the 22.

Rich is right, and very few people consider being able to move it by hand when buying a splitter.

I have a small 20 ton MTD with a 5 HP Briggs, and it handles everything I need it to do, which is just my own firewood. As far as cycle times go, after about a half tank of gas, my cycle time pretty much matches the splitter, so I don't need it to go any faster.

Someone else posted about the different Hondas, and he was also right. The red and white Honda is the best engine period. The black one is simply Hondas' inexpensive engine which is no better than a Briggs or Tecumseh. The starters are definitely a weak point. We see them come apart on push mowers, so I'm sure they will have some tendency to fail when starting a splitter in cold weather.

But in the context of a guy splitting his own wood, I think these engines are all OK. When you think of how much wood you can split on a tank of gas, it shows that you really aren't very likely to put a ton of hours on a splitter motor for personal use.

Last edited:
Back