buying a tw5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to find a used one. But new one is next choice. Any one pick up one lately and if so what are they going for? thanks Tim

they do pop up used from time to time... here's one in PA for $5k
--------

Timberwolf TW5 Log Splitter - $5000 (Eastern PA)
Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-09-29, 2:02PM EDT

Tmberwolf TW5 for sale, 3 years old, hardly used.
Log lift, Table Grate, 6 way wedge.
$5000. Garage kept in mind condition. Maybe 15-20 hours total. Too big of a machine for the 7 cords I burn a year. Eastern PA

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Check out American

Hey, Buzz, I'm practically your neighbor (in Webster - and I grew up in Lyons). Be sure to check out American CLS splitters. Do a search on this site for them and check out their website:

http://www.americanmsr.com/home.htm

They are made right here in NY state and are quality machines, though expensive. I also think that Altra Rental in Ontario is a dealer for them.

I have a cheap Harbor Freight splitter and can't justify an expensive machine, but American is right up there with Timberwolf as I understand it.

MarkG

I would like to find a used one. But new one is next choice. Any one pick up one lately and if so what are they going for? thanks Tim

They are about 8k new, the T6 is 10k or more. A rip off in my opinion. I would say useds for 5k or less is the way to go. I almost bought a demo unit T5 for $6300 even the other day, but backed out when I realized what I could do with $6300. After that, I bought my Speeco for $1125 and love it, made the right decision IMO, It's all I need for 1 man operation, I did 20 facecord in one day already.

Hello neighbor, look into American. They are made on the out skirts of Watertown. Drive up and meet the man (Larry) who will be making the splitter. Good luck.

American is an excellent choice!

but any machine in TW-5 class with lift and table will cost $6k+ new.
lowest I've ever seen a used TW-5 go for is $4k.

seems all the used TW-5's that come up are on the east coast:chainsaw:

6 months or so ago... a firewood operation was shutting down. they sold off two 15+ year old American splitters for $2k each (no lift). these were TW-5 class machines. I'd purchased one, except shipping cost would add $600+ to price. plus seller didn't want to ship.

our local chainsaw shop is selling the smallest timberwolf for $3,500. much rather have my 35ton speeco for $1550 than a low end timberwolf.

Last edited:
I bought a TW5 last season. I've put alot of wood through it. Although its a good machine I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. For the money it doesn't do what the hype says. A TW would be an outstanding unit if it was listed in the $3,500 range. Also the TW5 would never be able to split hard wood with a 6 way wedge. I have a 4 and on tough stuff I have to take it off. Do your research, there are better deals out there. Pete

I'm pretty sure the used one mentioned above is sold. That's pretty funny that a guy splitting 7 cords a year would buy a TW5. Must have a lot more money than sense.

I bought a TW5 last season. I've put alot of wood through it. Although its a good machine I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. For the money it doesn't do what the hype says. A TW would be an outstanding unit if it was listed in the $3,500 range. Also the TW5 would never be able to split hard wood with a 6 way wedge. I have a 4 and on tough stuff I have to take it off. Do your research, there are better deals out there. Pete

There must something wrong with your machine. I have a TW-5 with 4- way and 6-way wedges. I've split hundreds of full cords of hardwood with both wedges without an issue. The only time I've ever had to remove the wedges to split was to quarter down some monstrous pieces to more manageable size or knarly crotches. Those two situations would be any issue with any splitter I have ever seen.

5K seems like a fair price on that used machine.

timberwolf splitter

I bought my TW5-FC last year with a log lift, table grate, and four way head.
I bought it simply on the basis: "you only have to buy good tools once" and when I split wood I split a lot of wood and their table grate and the log lift and the fast cycle were definite plusses in addition to the fact that I longer hurt when i split a lot of wood and still have energy to do other things.

I have had no trouble splitting any wood, dry, green, heavily knotted, etc.

With all due respect to the other poster its a matter of dollars and sence-not cents- I finally got rid of the old splitter (25 year old) I had in trade for this one.

The life cycle cost of a purchase like this is what you as a potential purchaser must examine.

I bought TW5 simply on the basis of known quantities:

1: reputation in the industry
2. available service
3. quality of the manufactured product
4. ease of use and options available; four way head, table grate, fast cycle option, quality of engine-Japanese Honda, Prince hydraulics.
5. higher potential resale value as past history always has shown.
6. the time available for splitting now and later on.
7. it was a steal simply because of the fact that I was at the right place at the right time as it was excess inventory at the time and I recieved a fair price for my trade which was essentially scrap value
8. if I have a problem service is a phone call away
9. warranty value

When you make a purchase like this you must think of it in long term costs; the more expensive a purchase is the less it will cost you during the life of the asset, as higher priced better quality materials went into it and its assembly, and down the road the longer it lasts with fewer problems it costs you near nothing to own.

In all honesty it is simply a purchase decision that must be handled like an accounting problem with the variable being "what is your time worth" too.

I like the fact that I can split as much wood as I want when I want to or need to. I no longere have to bend down a lot. I like the fact that I know the Honda will start when I want to use it.

I use my 16 year old kerosene salamander and a generator to power it to warm it up when the weather gets colder and keep me warm too:^).

I still use the 14 year old Isuzu 4 wheel drive truck to haul it and the split fire wood from a to b.

I have kept my truck as I am still able to buy parts and obtain service for it even though it is worth scrap value. I would still have my old two wheel drive Isuzu truck purchased in 1985 if it had not been totaled by a wreck caused by a college student who ran a red light and I ended up t-boning his car and tearing off the rear axle of his mothers mustang. I sould have kept it as a spare vehicle rather than junking it due to insurance values.

The chevy truck I bought to replace it later on was the worst purchase I ever made simply due to the poor quality of the engine-multiple problems with the serpentine belt pulley bearing, engine performance issues, constant knocking when set to spec., other engine noise. The kicker was when the the serpentine belt pulley blew through the radiator and tore a hole in the hood of the truck.

The problem with the serpentine belt/bearing/pulley was something that was constant throughout my ownership of the vehicle.

Please always remember that you are the one that will be living with the purchase you make not the members that are making comments both positive and negative about it.

As I said it is the value of the product its life cycle and life cycle cost that you must look at-in other words the present value of your dollar toward any purchase is what should drive your decision period as you are the one who must deal with it day after day after day.

I have no desire to start a flaming post war with anyone on the forum here and the above are simply my opinions and observations.

:agree2: :givebeer: :chainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
ya well... that about the same as a lot of folks with MS880's
simply overkill for what they actually need to cut:chainsaw:

fact is my 35ton speeco splits anything I'd care to throw at it. including monster sized Oak. never ran into a piece it couldn't plow through. instead of getting stuck... 35ton speeco shears right through.

but.... I still want a fully loaded TW-5 or an American equivalent.

I'm pretty sure the used one mentioned above is sold. That's pretty funny that a guy splitting 7 cords a year would buy a TW5. Must have a lot more money than sense.

Last edited:
I bought a TW-5 last year with the 4 way, and 6 way wedge, log lift and table grate for $6800.
Im in the wood business, and this has been a great machine.

I had one years ago and was absolutely amazed at what it would do, fully loaded, log lift, table grate, auto cycle, hydraulic wedge adjustment with the Honda power plant.

I bought another one this year, and really the only thing that changed was the fact that the price increased some 3500.oo. :jawdrop: http://www.arboristsite.com/images/...w.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif I still bought it though, because I also look at it as you get hat you pay for. It is like buying a set of tires, you can go cheap and replace them over and over or buy a decent set and have them get you where you need to be and not have to worry about it.

I also owned a TW Pro MX procesor back then as well, don;t have one of those now as I just can;t justify 65k then anothger 15 k for the conveyor. But all that being said, it is my understanding that the American units were the main model incorporated with the old Brute;s for TW's splitters. It may be possible to get a unit just as reliable and save some $$$$

TW5 wood splitter

There must something wrong with your machine. I have a TW-5 with 4- way and 6-way wedges. I've split hundreds of full cords of hardwood with both wedges without an issue. The only time I've ever had to remove the wedges to split was to quarter down some monstrous pieces to more manageable size or knarly crotches. Those two situations would be any issue with any splitter I have ever seen.

5K seems like a fair price on that used machine.

I agree with husky137 in that you must have a problem with your TW5 you should have it looked at- perhaps its a simple as cleaning the inlet screen for the pump and changing the hydraulic filter- the pressure may be off a bit too and that is easily remedied as long as the oil is up to the proper temperature prior to adjusting it. It would not hurt to look at the inlet hose to see if it may be collapsing too simply on th basis that it is a single wire braid hose.

:cheers: :agree2: :givebeer:

I bought a tw5 last fall . I'm very happy cheap no dependable yes. I did 20 cord last year and I'm working on 30 this year very happy!

I got a price of 7280,00

that includes lift and table and shipping I was wondering how the six way wedge works?

six way wedge

thanks LAH I think for time being I will try four way and see how that works.

Buzz I'm new to the TW so maybe after a while I'll use the 6 way more. I bought this machine used and it came with the both wedges. BTW, you'll really like the log lift. Does the TW-5 have auto cycle?

Latest posts

Back