Buying a used saw from a AS member?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avalancher

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Anyone that can give me some good advise on how to handle a transaction with another AS member over a used saw? I ran an add in the trading post, a fellow member responded to what sounds like a good deal.
Anyone to any trading that can give me some advise beyond the obvious? I have bought a ton of stuff off of ebay, but you have some protection there with square trade as well as paypal. I hate the idea of sending a check to someone that I dont even know.
Any advise?

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pay-pal might be another option.
Does the member have quite a few posts, or just a few? It seems some people are just signing up to sell stuff now days.
I have had great luck with my transactions here on AS, but they were all long standing members. Thats what I would be leary of.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
Does the member have quite a few posts, or just a few? It seems some people are just signing up to sell stuff now days.
I have had great luck with my transactions here on AS, but they were all long standing members. Thats what I would be leary of.

Andy ...you bought a few saws from a few AS members ....How did that go..;) ;)

I have bought a few ;) saws from AS members and it went smooth ....:) :)

avalancher

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur

This guy has 200 plus posts, been around here since 2001. Would you consider that long standing?

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
YUP!!!
And really, all of the transactions I have done on here have gone pretty smooth.
One saw wasn't what I hoped it would be, not the sellers fault.
And one seller couldn't run a hotdog stand, much less a saw buisness, but I did get everything I ordered, just slowly.:)

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
YUP!!!
And really, all of the transactions I have done on here have gone pretty smooth.
One saw wasn't what I hoped it would be, not the sellers fault.
And one seller couldn't run a hotdog stand, much less a saw buisness, but I did get everything I ordered, just slowly.:)

Ya that 346 wasn't a great saw.....lol....

Is Ben still in business ?? NWCS ??....hehe.....I hear that he's a greeter at Wally World now......:) :) ...

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I use to be into cars I was on a nation wide board like this. There was a member that sold some things on e-bay. He shipped the items and never received a check. The guy just wouldn't pay him. It was close to $1k worth of stuff. So he asked some guy on the board to go by the guys house and take a picture. Then he e-mailed the guy a pic of his house and said you never know where I am or where my friends are. He had a check in his mail box 2 days later. It really is a small world.

Scott

TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought my MS310 from another member.. paid with pay-pal got the package in a timly manner, I'd do it again..

Unless It's a way to good to be true deal your probably safe. Most members on the board here seem to be good hard working fellas.

Aaron B

Aaron B

ArboristSite Lurker
I bought my 272xp from a member here. I used paypal and it went smooth. One additional benefit with buying the saw here is this forum is for saw enthusiasts. When I received the saw, it was immaculate, fired right up, and although well used, it seems to be a good reliable saw. My seller, as I would think most people posting here are, cared about the saw and didn't send me a pile of junk because this is somewhat of a hobby for them. On Ebay, or anything else, you don't know who your dealing with as far as someone who's "into" saws, or someone who has this tool to cut trees in the garage that doesn't do any maintenance on them. Just my take on it.

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Other side of the coin...

I bought a 660 that the member here claimed was a runner.

The saw had 115# compression, a chain-brake lever from a smaller saw that did not fit. a cross-threaded 3/8th" bar-stud, and a broken motor-mount. The saw had a huge list of missing/broke stuff.

When I asked if it was 'complete' the answer was that it was. It ran, but my 310 flat out-cut it! It was extremely unsafe, no were near runnable.

Many members here, from coast - coast steeped up with the parts I needed to make a saw out of it.

Would I buy another?

Really depends on the member, never that one again. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

The members that helped me out, I would trust with my life.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
Other side of the coin...

I bought a 660 that the member here claimed was a runner.

The saw had 115# compression, a chain-brake lever from a smaller saw that did not fit. a cross-threaded 3/8th" bar-stud, and a broken motor-mount. The saw had a huge list of missing/broke stuff.

When I asked if it was 'complete' the answer was that it was. It ran, but my 310 flat out-cut it! It was extremely unsafe, no were near runnable.

Many members here, from coast - coast steeped up with the parts I needed to make a saw out of it.

Would I buy another?

Really depends on the member, never that one again. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

The members that helped me out, I would trust with my life.

Kevin would you buy a saw from me if I had one forsale?????

pyromaniac guy

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru
just hope he doesn't live in nigeria.

too funny.

i actually have bought 2 saws from members on here.

the last one was a very strong running 372xp. he worked me through some issues i had in choosing the saw (he had more than one for sale) and put up with many emails. after we agreed on a price, i mailed a check. 2 days later i had a UPS tracking #. 2 days after that, i had the saw, plus a free bar and chain.

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
4 of my saws came from AS members, 3 different members. All were exactly as pictured and described. Only one took a while to arrive, and it was the USPS fault, not the seller. He was realy to file insurance and get my money, then the saw arrived and I was happy as can be with it. But, like stated earlier, Im careful who I buy from.

Rookie1

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought a box of saw parts from Ozarkjeep and used Paypal at his request and everything worked out well. We had some timing issues to get connected but once the deal was made it was smooth. I just bought another part from mtgrs737 and sent him money order. I just sent it the other day so im still waiting for parts but im satisfied with doing business with other members.:clap: Wife brought mail up and I got box. So shipped in timley fashion.

Last edited:

Latest posts