Best dump hoist type?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaCat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m a fairly small business. Only been in business 3 years. I’m looking to buy a 2017 Ford F450 6.7l with 14ft stake bed but I need to put a dump hoist on it.

Can anyone advise me on the differences of each? Pros and cons. Also which is easiest to install?

I imagine at most i’d have 5 maybe 6ton in the truck. Is an 8 ton good enough?

Are there any brands that are good but not crazy expensive?

A scissor style would be about the easiest option to install and take uo the least space. usually I'd go for a slightly larger capacity then needed. Everything holds up a bit better in the long run. The single multi stage cylinders work just fine, but tend to hog up some bed space in the front of the dump and are a good bit more expensive for cylinder rebuilds. Few less moving parts vs a scissor lift, but will need greater fluid capacity vs a scissor lift as well. Another nice thing with a scissor is you don't have to have a dedicated pto, most can be ran off an electric pump unit.

A scissor style would be about the easiest option to install and take uo the least space. usually I'd go for a slightly larger capacity then needed. Everything holds up a bit better in the long run. The single multi stage cylinders work just fine, but tend to hog up some bed space in the front of the dump and are a good bit more expensive for cylinder rebuilds. Few less moving parts vs a scissor lift, but will need greater fluid capacity vs a scissor lift as well. Another nice thing with a scissor is you don't have to have a dedicated pto, most can be ran off an electric pump unit.
single piston can run off electric too.

single piston can run off electric too.
It can, but that method has quite a few downsides that I don't care for. Slow dump time being the first, but finding an electric pump with a large enough tank is a pain, and expensive. If I'm doing a stand alone electric pump and running plumbing then I'd rather go with a pto set up. Which the guys truck should already be set up for from factory for a trans pto. It's simpler to set up, and last I speced out was cheaper too. Only downside was it took a trip to ford to enable the pto switch function.

Thanks!

Is there much difference in weight and size between an 8ton & 10ton scissor lift? Looking at the PH520 (10ton). Would rather go overkill even tho I doubt I will even get close to 8ton. Probably more like 5 because I only have an F450 cab and chassis. But if it is substantially larger and heavier maybe I should go smaller

Although a PTO pump would be “best” an electric pump would absolutely work. Yes it’ll be slower but it’ll work fine.

This is a run of the mill Northern Tool pump/tank and it dumps my little red wagon with its 20ton hoist. It’s gets almost all the way up before running out of oil. It helps that it’s a two hose setup. I’ve hauled dozens of loads with this pump and wagon behind my freightliner and it works great.
2023-11-07 14.55.16.jpeg

Going bigger (tonage) is usually a good choice but there are lots of other considerations.
A typical scissors hoist only has so much vertical lift.(travel) Placing the lift rearward allows for a greater dump angle (a major decision) but that comes with decreasing the dumping power by having more load in the bed forward from the lift. (basically leverage)
I'd figure out your geometry... bed length, headboard to hinge point and desired dump angle then design around that.
Many of today's little dump "packages" are designed for a quick easy mounting job for the commercial truck outfitter that I find have negative features for the users or owner.
They come with a
Sub frame that raises the bed height about 5 inches only for the convenience of the installation.
Electric pump
Again, simplifies installation but performance is not that of a pto pump.
Do you homework before you just start spending money on components. As simple as a stupid dump bed seems, it is not. There's nothing "stupider"
than a load that won't lift, or a load that won't slide out. Add in dumping up hill even just a little bit and these matters multiply.

Latest posts

Back