POLL: which do you prefer, 1 ton dump truck or pick up truck/dump trailer combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Horsehockey" My 79 weighs 7k I'm tagged at 19 so that's 6 ton I legally haul! A dump trailer the same size is no different, also More brakes, more bearings,more springs to maintain. Plus I can put it dern near anywhere. I plan to air bag it soon For increased stability. I'm routinely at my 19k and it handles fine.

Lol I even thought of putting a power tag axel on it but realistically I rarely am overweight even though i have 32 inch sideboards and have if full to the brim most loads.
Whatever you're smoking appears to be some really good stuff. There's no way you're hauling 6 tons on a 1 ton truck. it just aint happenin. I don't care what's up stupid plating laws you use. You're still way over what the truck can carry.

Around here the DOT is always point over for small dump trucks. They would fine and red tag your truck so quick.

Whatever you're smoking appears to be some really good stuff. There's no way you're hauling 6 tons on a 1 ton truck. it just aint happenin. I don't care what's up stupid plating laws you use. You're still way over what the truck can carry.

Around here the DOT is always point over for small dump trucks. They would fine and red tag your truck so quick.

I think he is meaning "face" tons. ;)

Fine for what? As long as his tires are rated for the load what laws would he be breaking? I was told by a weight station officer that they can't enforce GVW ratings on trucks. They told me that is a manufactuers rating not so0mething they can enforce.

Scott

I wrestled with this same issue about 4 years ago. I only have an F150 so getting a dump trailer of any decent size meant me having to get a heavier duty truck. After much looking around, I settled on an F350 dump with a 12' stakebody. I now easily make 2 cord deliveries and can take the sides off to haul 12' - 14' logs when I have to. I was lucky enough to register it as a farm vehicle at my mom's house and it only runs me about $475 a year for tags and insurance.

Fine for what? As long as his tires are rated for the load what laws would he be breaking? I was told by a weight station officer that they can't enforce GVW ratings on trucks. They told me that is a manufactuers rating not so0mething they can enforce.

Scott

Most all the E rated tires I've seen are good for less 3042 lbs singles and less when dualed. They might be out there but I have not seen it. I've had worse luck with E rated tires anyway as far as blow outs. WAY overloaded bias plys for years with not a single blowout. I've had 8 E rateds blow from belt shifts. Some of these weren't overloaded either with less than a year on them with 80% tread.

MVC-019S_21.JPG

MVC-015S_1.JPG

MVC-018S_26.JPG

They make some that are 3400 pound rating or so. But you have to get in a 265 tire to get them I think.

Scott

Well feller, i don't smoke anything and yes I hauled 6 ton on it one load last week, normally not hauling that much but READ THIS I'm legal too so put that in yo pipe and light it :)

Last edited:
I wrestled with this same issue about 4 years ago. I only have an F150 so getting a dump trailer of any decent size meant me having to get a heavier duty truck. After much looking around, I settled on an F350 dump with a 12' stakebody. I now easily make 2 cord deliveries and can take the sides off to haul 12' - 14' logs when I have to. I was lucky enough to register it as a farm vehicle at my mom's house and it only runs me about $475 a year for tags and insurance.

Nice! I have a farm, so I'd register it as a farm truck.

I have a 1/2 ton chevy now. I've been considering replacing it and getting either a 1 ton dump or another bigger pickup and dump trailer. I may just keep my chevy and continue doing what I do the way I do it now. But, I'm itching to improve my hauling set-up.....

Thanks for the input from all. Keep it coming.

I vote one ton truck.

If your trailer gross weight is more than 10,100lbs, It becomes a combination vehicle and you have to have a CDL now. If you never plan on getting over that it wont be a problem though.

Dual wheel 1 ton with platform dump works for me.

downsized_1015111002.jpg

downsized_1218110924.jpg

Don't use the dump much but I don't dent and scratch a pick up bed either.

Well feller, i don't smoke anything and yes I hauled 6 ton on it one load last week, normally not hauling that much but READ THIS I'm legal too so put that in yo pipe and light it :)

My father occasionally ran 16 to 19,000# on his 10,000# gvw F350 with a 14' dump. I did a few times as well, but I wouldn't recommend it. 7.50/16 tires were way overloaded and front end was eventually damaged resulting in permanent misalignment (translation - new front tires every 15k miles or so). Neither of us were ever stopped by the DOT but I bet it would have been costly. I don't know what tags he ran except they weren't commerical. Ron

I have done both. 1/2 ton pick up with a 6x10 tandem dump trailer and now I have a 3/4 ton pick up that same dump trailer and my 1 ton dually dump truck with a 6.5x8 bed.

I never use the dump trailer. It really doesn't handle more weight, at least mine doesn't. I can easily put 7-9,000 lbs in my dump truck and it handles fine. Anything over 6,000 in the dump trailer is way too much. Now I understand you can buy more HD trailers, but the main reason I used the dump truck is it is much more maneuverable, handles the weight better and it gets better fuel mileage than pulling a trailer.

I like that the dump truck is just built much more stout, larger wheels, tires, suspension, brakes etc. Carrying a cord of green wood on the dump truck is unnoticeable, I can't say the same for the trailer. But its all personal opinion.

FYI 89 f350 dual rear wheel 4x4.
Trailer is a tandem axles 3,500 lb axles

I have done both. 1/2 ton pick up with a 6x10 tandem dump trailer and now I have a 3/4 ton pick up that same dump trailer and my 1 ton dually dump truck with a 6.5x8 bed.

I never use the dump trailer. It really doesn't handle more weight, at least mine doesn't. I can easily put 7-9,000 lbs in my dump truck and it handles fine. Anything over 6,000 in the dump trailer is way too much. Now I understand you can buy more HD trailers, but the main reason I used the dump truck is it is much more maneuverable, handles the weight better and it gets better fuel mileage than pulling a trailer.

I like that the dump truck is just built much more stout, larger wheels, tires, suspension, brakes etc. Carrying a cord of green wood on the dump truck is unnoticeable, I can't say the same for the trailer. But its all personal opinion.

FYI 89 f350 dual rear wheel 4x4.
Trailer is a tandem axles 3,500 lb axles

Good post.....:msp_thumbup:

Had part ownership in a dump trailer years back and sold out to get a 1 ton dump.. I much prefer the dumptruck.

I try as much as possible to take my splitter and do my processing their rather than load heavy rounds and the dump trailer made that a two truck or multiple trip undertaking. My dump is also my second car , it's a J-code 6.2 GM diesel dump and gets very good millage for a 7,500 lbs. rig ... way better than my F350 daily driver!

you can haul 2-3x as much in a dump trailer than you can in a 1 ton dump truck. Less insurance and use the truck you have to haul with already. 1 ton dump trucks are a waste of time and money. by the time you put anything substantial in them you're over weight.

i disagree

i still disagree

i prefer dump trucks (it's really nice if they have removable sides and then they can just be a flat bed when you ow your boat and need to see)

019.jpg

006_zps72794b13.jpg

1 ton, does not mean, 1 ton.

I'll agree with that. I have a 1991 f250 (3/4 ton) and it will carry 4 tons comfortably and I do load to 9,000 if I need to.
My new tires squat a little but the old ones were still standing tall at 9,000 lbs.
Oh no...more crazy claims on the internet..... NO I know how much my loads weigh.
I have hauled 2.2 yards of river rock, WELL over a full cord of WET wood, including loads of oak, locust, ash, maple, etc...
I usually haul 1 or 2 types of wood at a time, so they are not half hard/half softwood.
When we go to cut wood, we usually end up bringing home the whole tree in one load.

I have airbags under the truck and it does just fine with heavy loads.

I vote for the dump truck. You need a cummins for a truck full of wood and a full dump trailer.... those extra axles really add a lot of resistance.
I will be converting my truck to a dump bed soon. Trailers cost too much.

Last edited:
Back