POLL: which do you prefer, 1 ton dump truck or pick up truck/dump trailer combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 4x4 1 tons with 9' flats with sides that remove in sections. There are times when I wish for a dump trailer I must admit but one of things that has stopped me is there are more than a few places we unload that dumping out the rear is not possible or desired by a customer. Truthfully dumping in a pile and leaving doesnt happen all that often for us. Occassionaly we wil clean up after a tree service and drop it off at the farm in a pile for processing later but all processed wood dry or not is stacked at our place and probably 90 % of the places we delvere to. With the removable stake sides we can unload off the side or rear by hand but the work is at waist level and its not back breaking. A buddy of mine just bought a dump bed for his one ton that will dump off the rear or sides depending on how some pins are moved SLICK set-up, I want one! The other thing that limits the usefullness of dump trailers is site conditions as anyone who has had one in the woods loaded, and stuck:msp_mad:,will attest.

My opinion..............

Wood014.jpg

Started out with a 6x10 10,000lb dump trailer pulled with a 2500. Was a PITA getting into back yards or tighter spots.
Always needed to make two trips if I needed my splitter, tractor or another peice of equipment. Used that setup for a few yrs.

Picked up a 1ton few yrs back, and the dump trailer sat unused, so I sold it 2 yrs ago, and havnt looked back.
Liked the 1ton so much, I sold both the 2500 and the older 1ton and picked up a 2011 GMC 3500hd 1ton dump.
The 1ton handles the same load much better and IMO, safer than my dump trailer. I can also tow my tractor while loaded, saving me a trip and fuel.

I am drooling over that pick up, NICE!

Thanks, I can't say enough about how great this set-up has been for me. I bought the truck about 7 yrs ago with just 63,000 on it. It is starting to show its age a little, but I'm hoping to get a bunch more years out of it.

Yes, I've been stuck a couple times with a loaded trailer, but have only needed a tug once. As far as delivering wood, I don't go anywhere that a trailer would be a problem. ;)

Thanks Terry and Treeclimber. The green one is a 92 7.3 IDI and although it looks rough has 50K original miles and no rust what so ever. Red one is a 97 both are half work half toys

Back