Buying new electric water heater. OWB compatible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old water heater is long overdue for replacement and its now starting to drip from the drain valve which is enough for me to finally replace it. My question is what kind of electric model should I look for that will be compatible with an OWB. I don't have one yet but hopefully within the next 5 yrs I will so I want to make sure I buy one that will work. Will probably go with a Central Boiler unit if that helps at all.

I definately want something efficient electricity wise but also don't want to break the bank either. My dad has one of the new hybrid "heat pump" air exchanger models which is interesting but I have noticed that it has made his basement a lot cooler this winter too. You can bypass it to just the electric element but he's just got it and wants to see if it makes a difference in his electric bill for now. Would one of these work with an OWB heat exchanger? Not sure if I want to spend that much anyhow.

One thing is certain. I wish I would have replaced it before the new year so I could've taken advantage of the 30% tax rebate last year. Doh!

Here's the one i just bought. Middle of the line . I picked it because the relief valve is on the top .Made it nice to mount the pump up top. I wired it up but still haven't turned on the breaker . lol

Before ya do anything, get ahold of your electric company/utility and ask if they have any programs or incentives on Water heaters.

Goofy as hell, but some offer a FREE or almost free water heater if you agree to the use of a peak hours limiter on it. Crazy as a june bug, but several do.

A buddy down the road hooked one up with his OWB, and it was a brand new ultra high efficiency unit...for the sum of 50 bucks!!
Dadgum house he built had to have cost close to half a Million, but he saved on the water heater!! LOL!!!

Can't hurt to ask!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've been having great success with just a plain ole 50 gal electric W/sidearm but it's just the two of us. If you don't already have a washer with reduced water consumption it'll help and might be a better investment than the water heater upgrade.

I think all electrics do but make sure it has a resettable high temp cut off.

A fair amount of people run into that problem with gas dhw, they have a one time use high limit switch and then they are ruined.

Before ya do anything, get ahold of your electric company/utility and ask if they have any programs or incentives on Water heaters.

Goofy as hell, but some offer a FREE or almost free water heater if you agree to the use of a peak hours limiter on it. Crazy as a june bug, but several do.

Good point Dinger! I am in an electric co-op that does have some water heaters with incentives and limiters. I looked at them years ago and I believe they were a little pricey but I need to recheck into them.

Thanks upsnake too. That cut-off is what I was thinking I needed to look out for but couldn't remember the details.

After doing some research it looks like the basic model designs really haven't changed much. I'm wondering if I should just replace/clean the leaking valve in my older one for now...

. I'm wondering if I should just replace/clean the leaking valve in my older one for now...[/QUOTE]

I just replaced mine 2 months ago for less than $10.00 and everything is fine.

Fyi...I changed mine without draining the tank. I just shut off the cold inlet, turned on the hot water faucet to relieve the pressure, then shut off. Have the new valve ready with pipe dope or teflon tape, a pan to catch some drippings,and all the tools ready...it takes a minute to unscrew the old and screw in the new with lest than a quart of water lost.

I was just looking at my electric co-ops website. They offer $125-250(depending on model) rebates for homeowner installs of electric units. A $1.50/month discount is applied to your bill for having a peak meter on it. You must purchase a minimum size of 75 gallons or more.

I'm currently using a 50 gallon unit and never have run out of hot water for the four of us. To go to that size seems like I would be using more electricity/spending more money. Am I wrong here? I'm guessing they want you to have the larger unit so they can cut power during peak periods and you'll still have hot water?

Is a larger unit a good or a bad thing with an OWB?

I was just looking at my electric co-ops website. They offer $125-250(depending on model) rebates for homeowner installs of electric units. A $1.50/month discount is applied to your bill for having a peak meter on it. You must purchase a minimum size of 75 gallons or more.

I'm currently using a 50 gallon unit and never have run out of hot water for the four of us. To go to that size seems like I would be using more electricity/spending more money. Am I wrong here? I'm guessing they want you to have the larger unit so they can cut power during peak periods and you'll still have hot water?

Is a larger unit a good or a bad thing with an OWB?

You need a larger one than what you already have because the hot water is not being replenished during use, like it is now.

$1.50/mth does sound like much, can't buy a coffee with it each month.

You should inquire if an override is available, so that you can pay regular
rates, for times when you need extra hot water , parties, guests ,etc.

Back