Buying new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

ArboristSite Lurker
Please help! I am going to buy a new saw and the local dealer has a Stihl 290 and Husky 55 Rancher for the same price. What should I buy? Or for $20 more a Husky 55? Most of my friends run Stihls and if I buy a Husky and cant Keep up I'll never hear the end of it.

tundraotto

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
the 55 rancher has 3.3hp, and the 55 has 3.4hp, the 290 has 3.75hp so it has more power - now i would guess that it might even lose to a husky because they cut quicker for the same hp in my experience. In your predicament thought I must say that the stihl must be up for sale real cheap or your getting ripped off with the huskies. check alamia.com for prices - if your getting a stihl 290 for $310 in your hands (remember you have tax to pay for) then im sure a couple of guys here on this board might want for you to tell them where and for them to stock up!

both are good saws, but the husky is better:angel: might be a good way to embarrass your buddies!

must remind you that both are consumer models and not the same animals as their respective pro cousins (xp's for husky and even number stihls). have you considered the 346xp from husky for $369 delivered? look into it. its a pro saw and 3# lighter...

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Given a choice between a Stihl 029 and Husky 55, I'd take the Husky. Yet given a choice between a Stihl 026 and a Husky than it would be the 026 in a heartbeat.

I think the higher end (ie even numbered) Stihl's just can't be beat, I'm just not too fond of the homeowner versions (odd numbered saws like 029 (ie MS290)).

Lately I'm pissed at Stihl because saw, parts, and accessories are so damn hard to get. With Husky you're just a few mouse clicks away yet with Stihl's old fashioned distribution model you're forced to deal face to face with a dealer. I like Husky's model of giving the consumer a choice of online or face to face.

tundraotto

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
its a pro saw and from what the dealer (he owns several stores dealing in stihls and some in husky) says is that the consumer models of both brands are made to last 100hours without problems and the pro saws of both are made for 1000hours without problems. they are different animal and for $40 difference definately worth it if you know how to use a chainsaw.

Like huskyman pointed out in an earlier post - esp. the 346xp is a HIGH (14'700rpm) saw and you need to let the saw do the work and not push it down which would bog it down. as far as 346xp against the farmboss...i know which id bet on. it would not be an odd numbered stihl.

Matt

ArboristSite Lurker
I should have stated earlier that the saw is just for cutting firewood. I'm using my dad's Echo 440Evl and my brothers Husky 61. The dealer here has the Stihl M290 and the Husqvarna 55 Rancher for 294.45 plus tax. I am really impressed with the 61 with a 21" bar.

tundraotto

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
if youre getting them at that price the test your buddies stihls out and see whether you like the feel of your brothers 61 better than your buddies stihls - matter of taste. your right though - if you just cut firewood from time to time you dont need to spend so much on a saw. none of the saws listed suck - their pretty darn even so its more of a matter of taste than anything.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
WOW, Tundraotto! I'm impressed! :blob2: You actually admitted that someone COULD buy something besides a Husky! There might be hope for you yet. :dizzy:
I gotta agree with Dave, too. I cannot honestly RECOMMEND the 029, since it isn't even in the same class as an 026 or other pro Stihls, but not everyone needs a pro saw. Both the 55 and 029 are decent homeowner saws and the price on the 029 is right in line with my dealer's sale price. If your friends will pick on you for buying Husky, get the 029. At least you will have a knowledge base there if the saw needs fixing.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
The 029 is a heavy durable pig. dont buy it. $299 is the normal price for the 029. Get the 55 and kick your friends ass and it is two pounds lighter, has a decompression valve, adjustable oiler, air injection, swings a 20inch bar with ease. Make sure you have at least Oregon 34LG chain, maybe even some 21lp once you get experience with it.

Gary N Carter

Gary N Carter

ArboristSite Member
Matt, there is no such thing as the moral chainsaw majority! Huskyman and Tundratto are right... Buy the 55 Husky. It never fails, this is America! Where two are three are gathered with chainsaws--- "THERE WILL BE A RACE". If your friends have the saws you have stated, you will be the winner! If for no other reason buy the 55 because its the better value! Color not withstanding. I have had two 55s, they are good saws. The only reason I don't have one now is because I bought a 262XP. Its kinda hard now to go back to the 55. Maybe I could find a clean 254XP?

confused

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Matt,

I would buy the husky (biting tongue) if for no other reason than to piss off all your friends. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 029/MS290 its too heavy and not comparable to anything. Buy the Husky 55 (damn this hurts) you'll like it. I would rather you have a husky that’s a great saw then buy a bad Stihl and have a bad experience with it. Now if you were thinking 026/036 or a husky I would say go 026/036 and never look back. I really love my Stihl and you have no idea how this pains me to advise you to the dark side of the force, but for what your going to be doing and given the alternative buy the husky. Please Stihl brothers forgive me!

Confused

I think I'm going to puke :cry:

Latest posts