C.A.D. -- What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM_DaddyMac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

So my project saw 028WB is a work in progress barely a week old. Scouring Craigslist and came across two different postings for saws in my general area.

One is for an 038 Super said to be low hours and good running condition that is about 1.5 hours one way from my house. The second is for a lot consisting of 3 saws total including an MS290 a 017 and a throw in Poulan that are less than 20 mins from my house.

Both options are about the same money -- sans the cost of gas for the further location, but the 038 Super has me intrigued. I have an MS250, not sure how much more saw I would be getting with the 290. I do not have a need for the 017 (besides more is better) and gave away my Poulan to buy my 250. The 290 guy sounded as if he would separate the 290 for the right price.

Provided they are Stihl available tomorrow when I would be a position to do something about it -- what would you do? Do you go for the power (quality) or do you go for quantity? Both the lot and single saw are listed at or about $300.

038 super if it checks out good! but you could get him lower on price i think.

i'll venture a guess that some others round here may agree.

Last edited:
prices are a little high. Do they all run? By running, I can pull them out and cut wood. I have had a few people on craigslist tell me a saw is in running condition to only find that it was put away running 5 years ago.

Sounds kind of pricey , but worth looking into. Seller has no expense for the add and usually are negotiable, I love CL.

Think about this, there are 038 MAG top ends everywhere on Ebay. That would give you a 72cc saw. If you want more on the 290, there are virtually NO 390 top ends, and you only get 65cc. The 290 has a pressed together muffler, which is difficult to mod. the 038 muffler is two-piece, and may not need modded. If it does, modding is much easier.... Full wrap bars are out there for 038. I have not seen one for 290.

can you guess which one I would get? Actually, I had one of the two and got rid of it. I have just gotten the other one, and it is good.

038 Update

I have heard back from the 038 Super guy after I told him his price has me questioning my interest. He is willing to sell for $265. Based on the enclosed photo, what do you think?

Here is how it was described in the posting.

Nearly new 20" Stihl Farm Boss bar and chain.
Saw is still like new, has been used very few hours.

These are the saws the serious wood cutters are looking for, you cant buy a saw like this any more.
This is one of the West Germany saws and all metal. No Plastic, like the new ones.​

As I noted in my original post this is 1.5 hours from home, so it is not a 15 minute drive to the town next door. I want to be certain this is good value for the money -- provided all checks out -- before I go for a drive.

Thanks,

The picture makes it look like it has seen little use. All metal is a plus, price is OK in my book. I'd take a road trip and bring it home if it looks good and runs good in person.

I would by sorely tempted to buy it. But then again, if you work for GM, maybe now isn't a good time to be buying saws

I don't get it... :confused:

I would only buy a saw if it:
(1) was a great deal
or
(2) fit a need (real or percieved)

Does the 038 meet either of these criteria?

The 3-saw deal only really makes sense if you want to collect or resell these three saws. Once your 028 project is running, it should exceed the capabilities of the 290. So none of the three would do you any good. But if you can get them for a bargain, you might resell for a profit...

I don't get it... :confused:

The 3-saw deal only really makes sense if you want to collect or resell these three saws. Once your 028 project is running, it should exceed the capabilities of the 290. So none of the three would do you any good. But if you can get them for a bargain, you might resell for a profit...

thats not necessarily true, for a professional logger 1 saw isn't sufficient, i know you can only run one at a time but if my saw blows up or needs a part i just cant buy off the shelf what am i supposed to do wait 2-3 weeks for it to come in and loose money? no way! im going to go into my pick up grab my next saw and keep working until my main saw is fixed.

thats not necessarily true, for a professional logger 1 saw isn't sufficient, i know you can only run one at a time but if my saw blows up or needs a part i just cant buy off the shelf what am i supposed to do wait 2-3 weeks for it to come in and loose money? no way! im going to go into my pick up grab my next saw and keep working until my main saw is fixed.

I didn't mean that owning 3 saws doesn't make sense, just that this particular 3-saw deal (290, 017, and Poulan) don't give the OP anything more than what he already has.

I have heard back from the 038 Super guy ..... Based on the enclosed photo, what do you think?

Here is how it was described in the posting.

Nearly new 20" Stihl Farm Boss bar and chain.
Saw is still like new, has been used very few hours.

These are the saws the serious wood cutters are looking for, you cant buy a saw like this any more.
This is one of the West Germany saws and all metal. No Plastic, like the new ones.​

That yellowish staining and the paint that is worn off underneath the oil fill cap has me wondering about his definition of "very few hours."

Keep in mind that it's just me talking and there are posts on this thread from those with more experience than I will probably amass in my whole life!

To update the thread -- the three saw deal is long gone -- it was gone the morning after the original post.

Some of the later responses to my original thread noted to pursue the 038, but the price seemed a little high. The seller and I exchanged a couple of emails and his most recent mail stated he would go as low as $265 from his original $325.

My intention would be to keep the MS250 (it was a gift less than one year ago) and acquire the 038 as a big runner for larger stuff to compliment the 015 recently added to the arsenal. This would give me the small, medium and large saws common for firewood cutting and harvesting.

Do I "need" the 038, no, but thought if I could snag a decent and more powerful saw at a good price -- why not. The 028WB I would look to sell to offset the cost of the 038.

I do not heat with wood, just an avid fireplace burner -- 3 to 4 nights per week. Also I seem to be the firewood crack dealer in my neighborhood, because those who I have given sample loads to are now asking for more. Hmmm -- maybe a way to get few more dollars for another project saw. Man this CAD stuff is addictive!

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
I didn't mean that owning 3 saws doesn't make sense, just that this particular 3-saw deal (290, 017, and Poulan) don't give the OP anything more than what he already has.

actually it would, the 038 is a much better saw than anything you listed, i know it would sure beat a 290 or a 017 and the poulan you mine as well leave with the guy all it will do is cause you pain and cost you money. i would deffinatly go with the 038 than the other 3, alone it probably worth more than any of them combined.

038 Update

I came across the same saw (038 Super) on Ebay this morning -- with a BIN option and shipping the total was $200 -- $65 less than the last offer from the guy on CL. I also saved myself a 3hr road trip plus the cost of fuel.

So I have added the 038 to my arsenal and will expedite my completing the 028 and get it sold. Now I just have to be patient enough to wait until the 038 arrives.

P.S. -- If anyone is interested in the other (CL) 038S, here is the link. The last offer I had from him on 12/2 was $265. He is located in Lansing, MI. His name is Bill. http://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/925315453.html

Thanks to all for your insights and feedback!

Back