CA EXAM Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. If I pass and get certified, and I move to a different state, do I have to take the test all over again in the new state or are credits transferable? Or would I be able to just take the tree ID part in that state to be certified in that state????

2. And how many of you think that the study guide is sufficient info to pass????

Last edited:
no need to join a chapter at all, or you can join them all, and the Cert is International.

Study beyond the Guide, in your weak areas.

Sunrise, you do realize that, whatever answers were given out, would have to be thrown out? They have to be very careful about security. This is not like a sophomore learning from missed answers on a test that is revised every time.

Systematic test-taking is not unique. It's taught in 4th grade, and should be mastered in middle school.

That, and it sounds like he studied...:biggrinbounce2:

I never said the test was difficult. I said it is a unusually worded and hard to follow exam. There is no banging around with that, it is what it is. I didn't study for it whatsoever and had to fly through it quick as I was really pressed for time that day and made 86 overall as best I remember.

I know all about tests and test taking. You can bet on that. I got my undergrad degree and then had two years of classes, past that. As a teacher, I had to compose tests every damn week. Oh, and I challenged many a professor on for-crap exam questions, as a student, and prevailed more often than not.

ISA's tests are of very poor quality, to a great extent. I could give you examples of complete questions and their corresponding distractors and answers, but I have a feeling that I might hear from ISA's legal department after doing so.

As far as ISA having to throw out a question if they gave you the answer after you missed it---what BULL(censored)! Tests should be learning experiences. Once you find out what you didn't know, you know it. With a data base of a few thousand questions, distractors and answers, there would be no reason for the scrapping of answered questions. ISA does not give you the answers because it wants to scrimp on production costs of given exams and it doesn't want the folks who compose the questions to be challenged when those same folks put together questions that make no sense and/or have the incorrect answer db'd as the correct one.

When the issue is raised that if a test's answers are revealed then that test is no longer valid, I say the same thing as I said, above. Unless you are giving an mc test with all of the questions and answers in the same exact order so as to be memorized without any learning, whatsoever, who gives a rat's (censored)? I only wish my poorer students had taken the time to memorize the answers I gave them on my exams, after they failed. I could, and did, give them the factual answers, give them a retake exam with a different question order and guess what-----??? They failed again! If you can memorize the factual answers to questions, I say that is a good thing and you have learned something. Perhaps the learning is of a different quality than that accomplished by studying superfluous facts in a sprawling presentation, but it is learning, nonetheless.

To this day, I still wonder about eleven questions I missed on the CA exam. I only hope I don't harm a tree doing the wrong thing because ISA was wanting to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
I do exactly the same thing, have scratch sheet for questions that I don't know the answer to, so I can go back in an orderly fashion.

After I ran through the exam, I checked my scratch sheet, did a quick calculation, I had already passed, depending on my domain performance.

I went and did my ID section, then sat back down with my scratch sheet just to boost my score. Most of those were just answers I did not know off the top of my head and had to cogitate for a moment or two. No parsing problems.

I'm no ISA shill, they've got their problems, but WTF moments on the exam?

I had none.

Now, I grew up reading everything from Tom Lehrer to Asimov, Poe to Gzowski. Maybe that has something to do with it.

But poorly worded questions, written by someone with no idea what they're talking about? You'd have to show me one.

RedlineIt

LOL! I grew up reading Darwin, Burroughs, Conan Doyle, Clarke, Nietzsche and Sartre and the ISA tests STILL SUCK!

Systematic test-taking is not unique. It's taught in 4th grade, and should be mastered in middle school.

That, and it sounds like he studied...:biggrinbounce2:

How about the systematic reading and concomitant comprehension of Letters To The Editor? Heh-heh-----That'll be our little secret, right? :hmm3grin2orange:

Superman and Being; that explains the myopic perspective. ;)

:greenchainsaw: Hmm----I see that I hit a nerve on my last post. So sorry. We're all friends, here, and brothers of the saw, so no more personal "attacks." Peace, brother.

-Miles

:greenchainsaw: Hmm----I see that I hit a nerve on my last post. So sorry. We're all friends, here, and brothers of the saw, so no more personal "attacks." Peace, brother.

-Miles
Nerves unhit, missed by a mile, but no worries, Miles, and :agree2: about fraternite'.

We'll leave the bloodletting to that wraptor thread; what a snakepit in a cesspool. :spam:

:popcorn::givebeer::clap::monkey: The seer of the trees is seeing the trees.
Jeff

And so is Miles, and all those here who participate in public forums to learn and share on a human level instead of relating on a rooster or gorilla or canine level.

Thanks Jeff! :)

How very PC

And so is Miles, and all those here who participate in public forums to learn and share on a human level instead of relating on a rooster or gorilla or canine level.

Thanks Jeff! :)

I would like to complain on behalf of all roosters,gorillas, and canines who are offended by this animalist comment.

Back