cable vrs grapple for firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grapples are ok if your doing a clear cut ! just try to grab a turn in a close quarters select cut and you will find your self hauling out a single tree or bunching the for a good turn! cable skidders are not for a lazy operator, climbing off and on all day long for sure! but in close quarters there the cats meow being able to redirect with a good block pulley and chain! running a 100 foot main line with 5 chokers is a workable deal... love them jd 440,s

grapples are ok if your doing a clear cut ! just try to grab a turn in a close quarters select cut and you will find your self hauling out a single tree or bunching the for a good turn! cable skidders are not for a lazy operator, climbing off and on all day long for sure! but in close quarters there the cats meow being able to redirect with a good block pulley and chain! running a 100 foot main line with 5 chokers is a workable deal... love them jd 440,s
If I was cutting 20-100 cord a year a 440 would be good but I'm up to 1000-1200 cord per year and I'm looking for a machine that won't kill me or any of my workers by the end of the day and also kep up with the guys processing the wood, if theres a tree I can't get around I'll take it or them also.

What is the first picture of? Is that the blade? That machine looks pretty nice from the pics.

And bunch up twitches for the grapple.
only if your in the open, it gets kinda hard moving 20-30' logs through the woods sideways, if its a dual arch skidder its alot easier to grab a log pull it to the next one and grab that one and on to the next one...
or if you cant pull right up on top of the log you can pick it up and stack em with the grapple, its alot faster than driving around and bringing every log to a pile then hitching up to pull it to the landing...
this is just stacking at the landing but its the same idea, and a DA grapple can stack alot higher than a blade!

only if your in the open, it gets kinda hard moving 20-30' logs through the woods sideways, if its a dual arch skidder its alot easier to grab a log pull it to the next one and grab that one and on to the next one...
or if you cant pull right up on top of the log you can pick it up and stack em with the grapple, its alot faster than driving around and bringing every log to a pile then hitching up to pull it to the landing...
this is just stacking at the landing but its the same idea, and a DA grapple can stack alot higher than a blade!

The clam is on the side of the blade not across the front. I'll get a better pic of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 42
The clam is on the side of the blade not across the front. I'll get a better pic of it.
ive never seen one, does the clam pivot to be able to hold the whole log off the ground? or just stay straight at what ever angle the blade is at, lifting the log at an angle?
it would seem to be a useful thing to have on a cable skidder, but i think it would get in the way and its not really needed on a grapple since you can just use the grapple...

ive never seen one, does the clam pivot to be able to hold the whole log off the ground? or just stay straight at what ever angle the blade is at, lifting the log at an angle?
it would seem to be a useful thing to have on a cable skidder, but i think it would get in the way and its not really needed on a grapple since you can just use the grapple...
I've never used one but a freind who has one loves it, it bunches wood if needed and can grab a log that slipped out of the grapple and bring it to the landing without rea loading the grapple for one log, I'll see if I can find a video on one

I knew what you meant, thanks to google. :)I have never seen one before either. Almost like a thumb on a back hoe, which I found very useful many times.

Arrgh! Close the dang door or it'll look just like the one on your 540. If you get into a habit of leaving it open when you get out, sooner or later you'll do it when you get in, and you know what happens then.

Sorry - it's a bother of mine. I've helped a friend rebuild more than a couple tractor and payloader doors due to careless operators.

Nice looking rig. Hope it's as nice mechanically as it looks cosmetically.

Back