CAD afflicted looking for info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best 80cc Saw for under 900 bucks

• Efco 181

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Solo 681

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Jonsered 2186

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Dolmar 7900

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Something Else?

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So CAD has bit and Im researching for the next saw.

I Have a 40cc, a top handle, and a 62cc so I figure the next desire for me is approx 80cc. Im a firewood cutter, and don't often cut something too huge, but occasionally I get into something that makes me Crave more displacement. Purchase still a couple of months out, but Im collecting info to make the right choice.

Based on what budget I will be working with, It puts me out of a Stihl in the desired size range.

So I have narrowed down to a few remaining saws to look into, so vote away but any posted info would be even more useful, thanks.

Well, you're gonna need to give us more info. Is this a collectors item or a daily driver? Do you like the newer saws or does having vintage saws float your boat?

This will be the big boy in the saw plan. My 62 is the go to saw for most situations, but when it comes to stumping or felling/ bucking bigger trees I want something bigger. This saw will not likely be a daily driver so weight isn't crucial.
Dealer support is nice but not a necessity as I do most repairs myself.
Should be adequate for:
  • pulling a 28" bar
  • handling anything too big for a 62cc when cutting for firewood.
  • Felling / buckingTrees 30"+
  • All Stumping
  • Light Milling should I decide to try it
  • Reliability

Used isn't my first choice honestly.

I have always liked Stihl products, it just seems they have priced themselves out of my range except for the 441 or 460. I am looking for something that will be used in wood that's too large for my CS62.
The goal for bar size is 28" and the occasional 32".

Used isn't my first choice honestly.

I have always liked Stihl products, it just seems they have priced themselves out of my range except for the 441 or 460. I am looking for something that will be used in wood that's too large for my CS62.
The goal for bar size is 28" and the occasional 32".

The 460/7900/2186 will make you>:D The 7900 is the lightest of them all though. A 441 could pull a 28" also. You have alot of fine choices, buy from the best dealer you can find.

I talked to a dealer yesterday, and he was still willing to sell the MS460 for last years price. That would be $879 for a 36" B&C.

IMO you can't get a truly good deal unless you buy used, buying new is sacrificing a good deal for peace of mind.

Used saws are ok if you know the seller. I will only deal with guys here who have a good rep when I need a used saw. This is how I bought my ported 460, it was from his fleet of work saws.

IMO you can't get a truly good deal unless you buy used, buying new is sacrificing a good deal for peace of mind.

Particularly true with Stihls

I got a used MS460 with 24" bar for $400

Had a new P/C, needed new chain, bar, sprocket, clutch drum and after a few weeks a brake-band. Later found out the bar wasn't ruined, just needed leveled off.

So $500...which brings it back down to what I think a good 75cc saw ought to cost.

The downside to the used route is you have to be comfortable working on some of the smaller things AND you have to be P-A-T-I-E-N-T...the hardest thing of all!!!!

Back