CAD!!! Dolmar 7900- $350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dolmar 1 resize.JPG (80.5 KBdolmar 2 resize.JPG (77.7 KBdolmar 3 resize.JPG (85.4 KBdolmar 4 resize.JPG (91.9 KB

I was at the the chainsaw shop today ( where i just bought a ms 440 and a ms 260 about a month ago) to get some chains. I asked if they had any used 7900's around, and this is what they came out with. The guy selling the saw, it was on consignment, bought it at the shop in march 2010. He has always ran stihl and wanted to try something diffrent. Well i guess he likes stihl more because he wanted to sell this to get another 460. He put the hd airfilter on it around october. He said nothing was wrong with it, just didn't like it i guess. I think i did alright, but my wife is not the happiest with me right at the moment. So i think this will be my last saw purchase for awhile, atleast i hope:confusedn: What do you guys think?

good snag. looks like that guy put some hurt on that saw while deciding if he liked it though. if yours is like mine, she's never happy with me anyway so just as soon get a saw when the gettings good

I ment to say something about the dawgs. I asked them about that also, the dealer said the owner does not like them? On any of his felling saws! He said the guy says they get pinched too easy? i guess when the tree starts to fall he can't get the bar out soon enough. I don't know seems weird to me, but he said he does that as soon as he buys a saw, that way on his stihls also. Said there is another logger around that does the same thing, anyone ever heard of this? That is one main thing i was alittle concerned about. The dealer said he could order the "stock" ones, but i told him i'd hold off. I personally don't care for the ones that come on them stock( just the looks of them), does anyone know if they make aftermarket ones? Saw a set on ebay but they look like the big west coast big bark dawgs i don't need anything that big, just a nice double set.

If that guy doesn't like running spikes I'd say he's just a make out logger. They are a necessity for accurate and controllable felling. I'd like to know how this guy gets them "pinched"???

I adapted a set of 365/372/390XP HD spikes on to my 7900 and they work a treat. A bit of cutting and welding are needed but all fitted well within an hour from memory. Those aftermarket spikes you mention on eBay are way too big. May make some guys feel like their willys are longer but in reality are just for show.

mcw,
I was thinking the same thing about the guy who doesn't use the spikes. I thought maybe there was something i was missing out on, but i don't think there is. The shop says the guy is a pretty well know logger though? so i don't know, i never seem to have any trouble with it getting pinched?. I might have to look into the HD spikes you are talking about. I use the spikes all the time for felling, and expecially for cutting the stumps flush with the ground. I'll have to do some more checking into it. Does anyone else use any other spikes for their 7900's?

dolmar 1 resize.JPG (80.5 KBdolmar 2 resize.JPG (77.7 KBdolmar 3 resize.JPG (85.4 KBdolmar 4 resize.JPG (91.9 KB

I was at the the chainsaw shop today ( where i just bought a ms 440 and a ms 260 about a month ago) to get some chains. I asked if they had any used 7900's around, and this is what they came out with. The guy selling the saw, it was on consignment, bought it at the shop in march 2010. He has always ran stihl and wanted to try something diffrent. Well i guess he likes stihl more because he wanted to sell this to get another 460. He put the hd airfilter on it around october. He said nothing was wrong with it, just didn't like it i guess. I think i did alright, but my wife is not the happiest with me right at the moment. So i think this will be my last saw purchase for awhile, atleast i hope:confusedn: What do you guys think?

You need to make things right and send the saw for that amount to Ky. and make 2 people really happy... :laugh:
Great deal for a nice saw!!!! Congrats!!!

mcw,
I was thinking the same thing about the guy who doesn't use the spikes. I thought maybe there was something i was missing out on, but i don't think there is. The shop says the guy is a pretty well know logger though? so i don't know, i never seem to have any trouble with it getting pinched?. I might have to look into the HD spikes you are talking about. I use the spikes all the time for felling, and expecially for cutting the stumps flush with the ground. I'll have to do some more checking into it. Does anyone else use any other spikes for their 7900's?

Maybe he uses some felling technique without spikes that nobody else is aware of? :)

Here are the modified Husky spikes on one of my 7900's...

DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0715.jpg

DSCF0714.jpg

They work really well - nothing fancy to look at but functional. The standard spikes are generally OK but I've found real problems in our dead hardwood as the angle on the bottom spikes hasn't been designed very well and they slip a lot without digging in. Mainly when felling though...

@*&$@(!_*$$&)@ $350!?!?! man id be on that like white on rice!!! damned near spit coffee everywhere when I seen that!! ffs i could only dream of getting a 7900 for $350.... some ppl have all the luck!

You got yourself a great saw for an incredibly cheap price. Looks like the logger ran it a bit, so it's plenty broken in and ready for porting. Also, the exhaust deflector was peeled off but the opening on the exhaust canister wasn't enlarged, so you can open that up and get a husky 288 exhaust deflector and firescreen from Bailey's to do a nice muffler mod.

What spikes are those from Matt?
I don't care for the stock ones on the Kita.

Hi Mate.
They are actually OEM Husqvarna HD spikes to suit the 365/372/390 etc. The outer spike is an easy fit, the inner takes a bit more work (but still not too bad). Although the photo doesn't show it I ended welding a bracing piece of steel across the back of the inner spike as there wasn't much meat left after I'd removed what I'd had to due to the "slot" in the Husky spikes.

(P.S. That chick in your avatar is a honey :D I've got that one saved on my computer from an email I received a while ago).

Last edited:
First two tanks

I ran two tanks through the saw today. Pretty happy with the performance. I couldn't get to any big wood because of the snow. Cut maybe a 16 inch maple and a 12 or 14 inch rock oak and some pine about that size. Did not need that big of a saw for that size wood, but i had to try it out!!!! didn't really feel much stronger then the 440, but i'm sure if i had the 20inch bar burried in hardwood i'd notice alittle more. Then when i get a 28inch for it, then she'll really show the power:smile-big:. One thing i did notice was the throttle response, not very snappy? From what i read a muff mod will snap it into shape pretty quick? or is there something else i need to check?

I would try richening up the low side slightly. May make a big difference.

some pics from this week

http://clear cut.JPG
http://load'r up.JPG
http://logs.JPG
http://noodles.JPG

I know some of you guys like pics, so figured i'd post some from this week. Very impressed with the 7900. The log with the backhoe and the truck we are going to cut up for firewood, to far gone to send for logs. So hopefully we can get everyone together some time. I told them i wanna do some saw testing on it. brother in law has a ms460, and uncle in law just bought a 385 xp this week, and i wanna run the 7900. even if my saw comes in alittle slower, which i don't think it will, they got well over twice as much in their saws. All of our saws are stock.

I ran the 385 some this week and i think the 7900 will run right with it. the 385 is a very smooth saw.

Hope ya like the pics, and if we get a chance to do some timed cuts with the saws i'll post the results

I ran the 385 some this week and i think the 7900 will run right with it. the 385 is a very smooth saw.

Hope ya like the pics, and if we get a chance to do some timed cuts with the saws i'll post the results

you pretty much right on this.....i have a thread on here somewhere where i was running a 7900BB against a 385. i wasn't timing them, but they were pretty much even. i haven't noticed the BB to be any stronger than a 79cc. what you do notice is that the 7900 is two pounds lighter than the 385. i also agree that a 385 is smooth, a little smoother than the 7900.

Latest posts

Back