Caddy vs Husky1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, thanks for all the replies.

haven't looked at the charmaster yet, I'll have to check them out.

so with a combination furnace is it just the oil part that doesn't have the best efficiency or the wood and the oil? if it is just the oil that is not as efficient, i feel that i could live with that, as it would not be used very often.

We have 2 seperate furnaces in our basement, that way we get maximum efficiency from both units. Our propane furnace is 90% efficient. Since you are in Canada, here is another furnace that I ran into the other day online. Its a beautiful furnace, and has all the bells and whistles also. Not exactly sure of the price, but looks like a nice unit.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/pdf/Napoleon-Hybrid-150-Furnace.pdf

This furnace also designed for gravity flow use in a power outage. One thing to remember though, the gravity heat won't work if the ducting setup isn't correct. Good luck!

so with a combination furnace is it just the oil part that doesn't have the best efficiency or the wood and the oil? if it is just the oil that is not as efficient, i feel that i could live with that, as it would not be used very often.
with a combo, the oil gun provides a hole where air can enter & the wood has a secondary air system in which air can enter cause its always open. when either the oil or wood is firing , the other hole is still open & the excess air carries heat up the chimni as excess air does

They do not carry the listing anymore which make them illegal as per heating code.

a simple yearly tuning of an oil furnace involves a trained tech with $1000 tools. She analyses the smoke for excess air & CO & then proceeds to tweak the furnace for high efficiency. This aint rocket science but I keep asking mfrs. for such #s & have yet to get a respponse.
Stochiometry for wood burn is ~8 parts air/ 1 part woodgas & is better approximated by gassification units. Any air in excess of 8/1 ratio is wasted heat up the chimney as well as uncombusted CO which is fuel & invisible..........Testing an oil furnace costs about $100 I think

Back