California or 49 state saw, whats the difference.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RANGERDALEXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I did a search but nothing came up, What is the difference between a California saw verses a 49 state saw verses a saw made for Canada?. I noticed this on the box from the last saw i bought.

I did a search but nothing came up, What is the difference between a California saw verses a 49 state saw verses a saw made for Canada?. I noticed this on the box from the last saw i bought.

What I have noticed over the years is it is mostly EPA requirements.

Anything from air pollution to sound pollution.

Saws for Canada, again EPA and some have accessories such as extra or different boots, warmers, filters and the inability to say"I am going out and about in a boat." without making a lot us of giggle. They also seem to cost a good bit more up north.

I really shouldn't be popsting as I don't know for certain about right now.

A few years ago Cali saws had cats and a little more restrictive spark arrestors on even more choked down mufflers. Canada went by the 49-state rules for a couple of reasons: Canada adopted the same standards as the US did for a lot of things and most manufacturers were happy enough to not catalogue another set of specs.

AFAIK, there's no longer any diff between 49-state and Cali when you're talking about lightweight small engine equipment. The reason a few models don't have cats is because the high sellers do, bring the fleet averages down.

Last edited:
Thank you eyolf for your reply, As for justsaws question, as for the saw manufactures, it would not matter because all would have to follow the same rules and laws, It was a small Echo saw i bought for limning that showed the different tags but was thinking on a 65 to 80cc saw and wanted to know if i need to order it through Arizona and ship it from there into palmdale if there was any good reason to do so, I was looking at a Dolmar or Makita and would like to leave behind all of the California stuff whatever it is, I just wanted to know what was changed from one to the other.

??????

search this TERM C.A.R.B

MEANS=California Air Resource Board

all saw sold in collyfornia have to meet the C.A.R.B STANDARDS

practically all new 4 and 2 stroke equipment are manufactured to this standard

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back