Call me a Moron!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS TreeMonkey

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to send in a few pics to explain why you should always have someone teach you the proper procedures in sectioning down trees. This happedned back in November of 2005. I thought i had sense enough to do it without any advice. Well, on the first tree I ever sectioned down, i was about 35 feet up and cut to far through the stem too fast and when the saw got to the other side, the butt cut knocked the saw down into my knee. Needless to say, i didn't look at the cut until 3.5 hrs later when i finished the job!! It wasn't too bad, but it definitely scared me into thinking and learning proper procedures!!

as requested

Moron.

Retake the photos in focus so I can use them in a powerpoint.
At least the scar currently.

With permission.

Please and thanks.

3.5 hours later you look at a chainsaw wound? Well, that wasn't the brightest thing you've ever done.

You could have bled to death in that time. Falling out of a tree because you passed out due to lack of blood is NOT conducive to a long life.

Tough is good, but not using common sense is not good.

smokechase II said:
Moron.

Retake the photos in focus so I can use them in a powerpoint.
At least the scar currently.

With permission.

Please and thanks.

Sorry, I can't retake the photos because it happened back in November.

BlueRidge, I could tell the bleeding wasn't too profuse, it was my kneecap, not my femoral artery!! I was doing a "buddy" job and i knew if the guy saw what happened he would insist i quit right then. I never claimed I was tough for continuing to work with a cut leg!! It was more of a warning to other "newbies" as what not to do!

I kinda did the same thing quite a few years(10+) ago. After falling a tree at my parents house, I was limbing it and the blade touched my knee cap after cutting a branch. I didn't think anything of it 'till a few minutes later when I felt my shin sticking to my pants...Long story short, 12 stitches later and I'm good!
Ron

BlueRidgeMark said:
3.5 hours later you look at a chainsaw wound? Well, that wasn't the brightest thing you've ever done.

You could have bled to death in that time. Falling out of a tree because you passed out due to lack of blood is NOT conducive to a long life.

Tough is good, but not using common sense is not good.
Blue, if it ain't bleeding and you feel ok, why stop? Often the blood congeals and stops on its own. I have finished the day and got stitches before. Kept going and didn't get stitches when I should have as well. I am not tough like some of the old time loggers. Like guys who got cut real bad with an axe and put in stitches themselves. Or kept going after thier fingers were squashed to get something done, guys who thought freezing was for women when they were at the hospital. Once I shot myself in the fleshy part of my hand with a nailgun, 3" nail, my boss pulled it out and I kept on framing, thats my "tough" story. Blue, I guess you haven't spent too much time in the bush or construction, everyone has a tale or two.

Needless to say, i didn't look at the cut until 3.5 hrs later

Generally speaking, you have to look to see how much it's bleeding. I nailed myself in the thigh with a fresh blade on carpet scraper once. Didn't feel like anything but a pinprick. I looked to see, and I was dripping on the carpet. Rapidly. Good thing the new carpet hadn't been laid yet! :D Almost made a secretary pass out. :laugh:

To get cut, check to see it's not serious, and go on with the job is one thing. I was responding to not even looking at it for 3.5 hours. That really IS enough time to bleed to death if you've hit some major blood vessels, no matter how tough you are. If I know I've hurt myself, I check it out. Guess that makes me a sissy.

Glad your OK now...hope you carry a blood stopper bandage up the trees with you on your saddle!!! Everyone should IMHO.;) HC

clearance said:
I am not tough like some of the old time loggers. Like guys who got cut real bad with an axe and put in stitches themselves. Or kept going after thier fingers were squashed to get something done, guys who thought freezing was for women when they were at the hospital.

there's nothing tough about ignoring your injury, unless you think dying is cool. in a small logging town i used to live in a "tough" logger got clobered by a log, but instead of going to the hospital he just drank a cup of coffee and went back to work, not realizing that he was bleeding internally. he died before the end of the day.

Its a guy thing called denial. Men are programmed from Day One to ignore and or minimalize injury/pain. I saw a stat regarding coronaries in middle aged men, half of all heart attacks are ignored to the point that big time damage sets in or worse death.

woodchux said:
I keep about a half dozen tubes of super glue on the truck ... just in case

super glue is toxic... I followed the streak---->>>> doc said I did a fine job other than the toxicity level of the super glue :rock:

Have you guys ever noticed that the drive to complete a job can get a little wierd? I dont think Im as bad as most guys, but the few times when I required stiches, I had to be talked into leaving the job. I also noticed that those wounds did not hurt when they were made, probably due to exertion and adrenaline. Maybe to do a job like this, sometimes you have to rachet up your determination so high that a painless wound just dosnt register. Have to learn to let go though.

TwoTurboVolvos said:
I kinda did the same thing quite a few years(10+) ago. After falling a tree at my parents house, I was limbing it and the blade touched my knee cap after cutting a branch. I didn't think anything of it 'till a few minutes later when I felt my shin sticking to my pants...Long story short, 12 stitches later and I'm good!
Ron

Hmm, I thought the two toys were in your avatar. :jawdrop:

No-one thinks he should have had saw pants or chaps on??
Whats the standard of workplace safety in the Arbor industry in America? I would be too ashamed to tell anyone or show those pictures.

Moron.

I just dont understand how

(a) he was allowed to not have any protection on. I would be sacked on the spot if my boss saw me cutting with no sawpants on, plus I would not be covered by my insurance, and workplace health and safety would look at fineing me. In the UK, you could have your arboricultural work license revoked!On top of that, I cant afford time off work or to damage my body through careless behaviour.

(b) how come in 2 pages of replies, nobody brought this up? I always thought that the States was light years ahead of Australia in this industry, but since Ive been browsing this site, I am starting to think differently. Saw pants or chaps are mandatory ppe in every outfit Ive ever worked for.

Back