Calling all Stihl 056 Guru's!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
...SO I got this 056 Super for free....Guy said it sat for about 6-7 years....locked up.....Well come to find out, it was just the recoil that was locked up!! Took the slug out of it and checked things over,,,,,rings were stuck in the ring lands.....bought some new caber rings put everything back together, did the Foggysail fix for the coil, have nice blue spark..........I can't get this thing to start to save my a**!!! Ive got great spark now, I have fuel, after about 4 pulls, the fuel comes back out the carb, plug is soaked, exhaust isn't plugged........Im racking my brain trying to figure out what I'm missing here......Oh...150lbs compression........Any input is welcome.....
Thanks in advance

Where are the carb screws set? Try pulling it once or twice with the choke on and then knock it off and see what happens.

...carb screws are set 1 turn out. I also tried it with them all the way in.......I have new diaphragms coming any day now......I'm wondering what the needle float is supposed to be set at? the arm looks almost completely straight. Tilly HU

The new kit will take care of it. Nothing else will work. If the kit doesn't come with a new needle then carefully wipe the old one clean without ripping the rubber from the tip/point.
You can unhook the fuel line and let the saw dry out. Then give a little tiny squirt in the spark plug or carb hole and see if it fires. Leave the throttle lock on or hold it all the way open as you pull. Do not hook the fuel line back up or it'll just flood out. At least you'll find out if it'll pop and run or not while you're waiting for the kit to show up.

Chainsaw Jim, there isn't an actual fuel line that goes to the carb. The fuel line comes from inside the tank right thru the intake boot to the face of the carb inlet, so theres no way to disconnect the fuel line without removing the carb completely from the boot....

...carb screws are set 1 turn out. I also tried it with them all the way in.......I have new diaphragms coming any day now......I'm wondering what the needle float is supposed to be set at? the arm looks almost completely straight. Tilly HU

Not for that S056, HU Tillys are are too small. Probably a HS118 carb

Great find for free!!!

Hs118 in my 056 super.

Fuel line inside the tank is poison to change. Mine looked to have the original line on. Rotten. 'I' couldn't change it from inside the tank and had to remove the tank. Change the line and bolt the fuel tank back on with gasket maker to hold the seal.

Has the metering diaphragm got a little button on it?
If so the fork on the end of the metering lever has to slide over it rather than just resting against it like most other carbs.

so my kit came today and yes, sorry I meant to say HS earlier(getting to excited). I tore it down and emptied the fuel tank. the new metering diaphragm just has the solid button, not like the old one that has a spot to slide the fork on. I put it all back together with no fuel in the tank and primed it with a little squirt, puffed after about 20 pulls, so I put fuel in the tank, another 20 pulls with fuel coming out the carb again, it ran for about 5 seconds with no response to the throttle at all and all choked up. At this point i'm wondering If maybe I have a tear in the intake boot? Once it ran for the 5 seconds, it took about another 15 pulls to get it to puff again...........hardest saw Ive ever had a problem with

The setting for your lever is the same as the walbro SDC carb. You don't need to remove it to bend it to the setting. Just push down on the lever with the pin end held down until it stays flush when you let go.
2016-04-18 16.11.28.jpg

I've seen more than one Bosch ignition out of time. It will fire from time to time and that's it. The capacitor fix is fine if that's the issue with the module.

SO I took the carb off and set the metering diaphragm with my Walbro tool, just like the SDC carb. When I took the cover off, the fuel behind the diapragm was a LOT! I put it all back together and blew out all the extra fuel and after about 3 pulls, fuel pouring out the carb again and the plug is soaked again!! Once again, I am getting spark, but how do I know if its strong enough? Its a nice blue spark.....I think at this point she may become a shelf queen!!!!

Drain it empty and see if it fires on prime and if not I suspect the module is toast. The fix does not address a module that fires out of time.

..Bill, I wondered about that.........Any idea on how to check that? meaning, how would I check to see if the module is firing at the right time?

Well that's difficult to determine but if it doesn't fire on prime once dried out that's what I would suspect. I just replaced the same module as that. It had good spark but fired at the wrong time. It was not as common as the capacitor going bad but a close second.

Back