Camp Chainsaw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a saw at my Dad's old farm, which is more hunting camp than farm these days.

There are times I am up there and need a chainsaw to knock out a fallen limb or cut a small jag of firewood.

I'd like a saw I can leave there and if it get's stolen - not like I lost my fine 038 Farm Boss. Also, don't have to worry if the cousins straight gas it.

Bottom line is I need a saw that doesn't break the bank and just for kicks, I searched the Northern Tool and they have this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200339359_200339359

Price is right and the reviews are OK too.

What are your opinions of it and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Bill

I have a mental problem with stuff like that. I hate to loan out any of my stihls and cant see leaving one behind at a hunting camp for most of the year. I just missed out on a $30 craftsman that I planned on using as a loaner saw. That wouldnt bother me if it got screwed up as much as a $30 stihl. :dizzy:

Those new Macs are pure crap. You'd be better off with a WildThing.

I would find an old Homelite. If you're not planning on using it all the time and dont mind the weight and vibration an XL-12 would make a great sturdy camp saw, it will take a lot of punishment and won't fall apart like a newer plastic saw would. Make sure to keep files and an extra chain and a file, and drain the gas (or even better run it out) before you leave it and it should be fine.

Maybe a used Stihl, like an old 026, or maybe AOD will turn loose of one of his 009s.......:greenchainsaw:

Northern has an Efco for two bills that is likely more saw than the 180.....yeah I know what the sig says, but I hear they are good, sturdy saws, and they are orange and gray............ Put stabiliizer and Stihl Utra in the gas, change it out every six months, then camp cutting can be fun.

I am thinking about putting a saw at my Dad's old farm, which is more hunting camp than farm these days.

There are times I am up there and need a chainsaw to knock out a fallen limb or cut a small jag of firewood.

I'd like a saw I can leave there and if it get's stolen - not like I lost my fine 038 Farm Boss. Also, don't have to worry if the cousins straight gas it.

Bottom line is I need a saw that doesn't break the bank and just for kicks, I searched the Northern Tool and they have this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200339359_200339359

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Bill
Seem to have a ton of used saws on ebay if you are willing to take a chance on a used saw from a stranger.

New, a nice little MS 180 under $200.
But I'd Craigs List a couple Sears or Poulan, they seem to be decent and usually under $50. Something with ratty plastic is less appealing to the thief.
Non alcohol gas, stabilizer, synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Bill

My dad bought one of those about 3 months ago for close to the same type of stuff. That thing is a POS in my opinion, even for what it is. It has about 2 hours total run time on it and the starter spool shattered into pieces the other day. The other thing is they are a PITA to adjust the carb on because they have some crazy oval type caps on the screws. And those things need to be adjusted to run at all. I agree with Kevin J on this one, you are better off buying a used saw on craigslist or ebay for 1/3 the price because most of them would be better saws, no matter what they are.

saw idea

any of the older mac 10-10s are great sawz. i just picked up a older mac 10-10 for 25 saw chips. they are ugly but are very reliable. they are easy to work on.
:givebeer: if you buy a used older saw any it is kept in good repair they will work good. if you hunt pawn and second hand stores you may find a cheap little saw that if stolen or run on straight gas you will not be out al ot of money. ifyou can find the older sawz that run or need minor work for under a 100 saw chips that is better then buying a new saw, newer sawz are in need less work but tend to be targeted by two legged vermin. old heavy and ugly sawz are less apt to be sprotuting legs:cry:
:cheers:

I would look for a good used Echo, they are fine light duty saws. I had a Stihl 170 that I got rid of because the carbs are non-adjustable, otherwise I would still have it.

Get up early on Saturday and go hit some of the yard sales. Trust me you will find a wealth of like new wildthingys, Crapsmans, Mac's and Hommies for under 50.00 (if you take my mother in-law with you she'll get it for 5.00 :laugh:) and usually for around 30.00. Unlike Fleabay or Craigs list you can see the saw and even start it (take your own fuel mix, they never have any. I put some in a plastic soda bottle) to make sure it's what you need.

I'm not recommending these saws because I think they're good. I am recommending them because they are cheap and disposable, but if you dump the long bar for a 16"'er and put a real chain on it, with a little care it should do what you need done nicely for a good few years, probably longer, and if your cousin straight gases it...... oh well gotta get up early on Saturday again.... just remember to save the short bar for the next one before you throw it at him. :cheers:

Last edited:
I actually agree with the wild thing posters. My first saw was a WT and it actually lasted a good long while. Try to find one used at a garage sale. Actually any old Poulan would be a good choice, for all of their many problems Poulans seem to enjoy a degree of relaibility and parts are usually available even for the old obsolete ones.

i agrea

Get up early on Saturday and go hit some of the yard sales. Trust me you will find a wealth of like new wildthingys, Crapsmans, Mac's and Hommies for under 50.00 (if you take my mother in-law with you she'll get it for 5.00 :laugh:) and usually for around 30.00. Unlike Fleabay or Craigs list you can see the saw and even start it (take your own fuel mix, they never have any. I put some in a plastic soda bottle) to make sure it's what you need.

I'm not recommending these saws because I think they're good. I am recommending them because they are cheap and disposable, but if you dump the long bar for a 16"'er and put a real chain on it, with a little care it should do what you need done nicely for a good few years, probably longer, and if your cousin straight gases it...... oh well gotta get up early on Saturday again.... just remember to save the short bar for the next one before you throw it at him. :cheers:
buy a cheap saw if you think something going to happen to it,when your huntin for a saw if you can start the saw cold in a few pulls it will give you a idea of how the saw runs

check the local saw shops, both times ive bought saws at mine ive gotten absolute STEALS! the first was about a year ago i found a husky 365 for $200, then a month ago i found a Stihl Ms290 for $195. both great saws, but still why not just bring your saw with you when you go if you know your heading up there? isnt it much easier on your wallet and your piece of mind. plus wouldnet you be in the same boat if when you got there someone had stolen it or cooked it while you were gone?

remember your time and fuel cost money so if your driving by place's go for it you could score a really nice saw, but if your just getting a cheapo i would rather buy new then waste alot of fuel searching for a 30 doller saw

Husqvarna 350

I had a Husky 350 for a few years, and it was a good saw. Bought it used, sold it after some heavy usage and banging around in the back of my truck for a couple of seasons for close to what I paid for it. It was also the saw (the ONLY saw) that I would lend out. Since they have been available from many big box stores for quite some time, you can regularly find them at garage sales and on CL for cheap. The upside on these is that other than the plastic case, they are good quality made in Sweden saws, and often see little use. The down side is that gas could have been left in them for years, or been straight gas, or or or.

Bring your own fresh mix, and if it fires up and is cheap give it a go!

Latest posts

Back