Can a chipper be modified to fit in standard height garage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny37

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, we are a small company that currently uses trailers with 4' sides for removing / trimming trees. We get up in the trailer and reduce the material with power saw. This is time consuming as well as being more dangerous than using a chipper. Im considering getting a 12" chipper, but have found out that no 12" chipper will fit into a regular garage (garage door is only 7 feet tall....most chippers are in the 8 feet tall range). So, my question is simply, can the chute be modified in a way that allows us to park a chipper in a regular garage? I guess im talking about adding a hinge to the chute so that it can be folded over when we park it. Has anyone done this? Or what do you guys think? We are at least a year out from having a workshop and i really dont want to wait a year to get a chipper. Im curious what you more experienced guys have to say about doing this. thanks for your time guys,

I cut 6 inches off the base of one of our chippers chutes, but have since moved to chutes with adjustable height, it will come down a good foot or more with the crank of the handle.

You might want to look at which companies chipper your looking at getting and see if they can help you out, or it might be easier to get an engineer to modify the existing one

Back