Can an average splitter be retrofitted with autocycle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamspt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible to retrofit a log splitter with an autocycle feature like the timberwold splitters?

Splitting wood is tough work. A tired operator would be more prone to injury. I use the cycle time to rest a moment, and calculate my next move. Slower, but I have all my fingers still!

Is it possible to retrofit a log splitter with an autocycle feature like the timberwold splitters?
Well,there just happens to be another person to have claimed to do that extraordinary feat of Appilacian engineering using a bungy cord.He soon most likely will have a new nick name,"Stubby".

Hmmm....

What is the difference between a splitter with autocycle ( standard on most timberwolfs) and a splitter being modified to autocycle? Seems like you guy's did not like that idea...

Hydraulic Fittings are not a problem for me as he have a ton of them in the shop. just not sure which valves i would need. Might have one detent valve n hand too... just not sure what valves I would need and the configuration of the hoses to make it work right.

My thought on autocycle is after you set the log to split it leaves you free to get the next log or to stack the one that just split...

Thats what I had in mind... What do you think?

Well,there just happens to be another person to have claimed to do that extraordinary feat of Appilacian engineering using a bungy cord.He soon most likely will have a new nick name,"Stubby".

i think he is referring to me, but i'm actually in the Rocky's.

So I work for an hour and split 2 cords of wood, and rest for 15 minutes.

I'm not union though, so it is probably a different gig then Al is used to.

What is the difference between a splitter with autocycle ( standard on most timberwolfs) and a splitter being modified to autocycle? Seems like you guy's did not like that idea...

Hydraulic Fittings are not a problem for me as he have a ton of them in the shop. just not sure which valves i would need. Might have one detent valve n hand too... just not sure what valves I would need and the configuration of the hoses to make it work right.

My thought on autocycle is after you set the log to split it leaves you free to get the next log or to stack the one that just split...

That is my set up - detent both forward and reverse. Works very well with a rather slow cycle time. Gives me just time enough to clear the previous split and have the next one ready to insert. Really keeps me hopping if I am interested in full production, which I usually am not.

I changed from the standard "hold in both directions" with full understanding of the danger - almost caught a finger once in 20 years. That is reason I will not let anyone else use it. I do run it for others as long as they are feeding the wood to me though.

Harry K

Ahem,here we go again .Two cords per hour,one man.Never happen only in the movies.By the way,it's been about 6 months and no pictures of this most marveled of great inventions known only to the select few of which I am not one of the chosen.Nor is anybody else for that matter.

Oh,puleeze,I beseech you ,oh great knowing genius of the mountains,do kindly bless us,the unworthy , with a glimpse of the auto amputator.Again,no "googling " allowed.

Oh,by the way,not that it is any of my business,do you get paid for your humor?:notrolls2:

I got one of these and replaced the valve that was there. There's a basic schematic right there for plumbing it and you can go to the Prince site and find the manuals.
http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=503880&showprevnext=1

al didn't ask nice enough, so i'm not gonna put up pics yet.

take a double detent valve, and mount it over the top of the ram.

hook it up "backwards", so the lever moves opposite of the way the ram runs.

for instance, push the lever towards the splitter, and the ram retracts.

now weld a hook onto the lever of the valve, and anohter hook to the back of the splitter.

hook the bungy between the two hooks.

now when you throw the lever into "split mode", the ram moves until it pull the bungy tight, which throws the thing into reverse.

silly boy. i never said one man could split 2 cords in an hour. it takes two.

one to split the wood, the other to run the skidsteer to push rounds close.
Well now,that explains it. Say,do you have a cousin in Erin Ontario per chance?

I dont think I could even split two face cords an hour working by myself even with my TW=5. possible if everything went right, but no way two cords an hour

yesterday worked 5 hours, split 1 cord. (yes, only 1 cord.)

conveyor threw a chain.
splitter busteda wing off. took an hour to grind the old one off, and get a new one one.
then loaded a 3 foot round and busted the trolley. took a long time to rebuild it, including going to a buddy's shop to raid some 3/8 steel for runners.

sigh.

Latest posts

Back