Can anybody identify this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerGrant

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The person who sent it to me says that it is used by the Swedish Military to cut ice? Can anybody confirm this? Anybody seen anything like this?

Thanks

090647.jpg

I have not seen one, but looking at the picture, I might make one! Looks like it will do the job just fine, but, have to be careful where I stand!

Cant say Ive ever seen one, but it looks like it would cut ice.

I would have to think that its for cutting a whole lot of ice, cuz if your just cutting a few wholes any ole chainsaw will do the trick.

I have an old saw that is only used for cutting holes in frozen lakes,

no bar lube at all ( just run slightly loose)

depth gauges on chain filed all the way down

A friend sent me the picture and thought I'd find it interesting. He just heard it was an ice saw. That might not even be what it is for. It might be nice to have something like that when you're cutting lots of cubes to make ice sculptures out of.

I bet that is what it is designed for.
The Army does not need Ice cutter.....
If they did it would not be red!

I have seen this in a magazine...
It had a Harvester bar and .404 chain.

ice and air filtration

I worked with a guy that did a couple gigs in Antarctica. Cutting hundreds of snow blocks for 'underground storage' for Ice Cores from thousands of years.
Huge problems with air filters clogging with ice crystals down there.
Does your saw have any mods where exhaust tubes are routed through the area where air comes into the filter/carb areas? This isn't for already combusted air with reduced oxygen, but piping to bring the heat from the exhaust through that area.
I would think on a piece of equipment that big, this would be possible to reduce the ice crystal coating on the air filters.
I'm sure the Swedes, from the same latitude as Canada, with year round snow and ice, would have figured this out.

Well, here in Wisconsin, we have a season for sturgeon spearing. I'm not much of a fisherman, or spearerman in this case, but I do go out to enjoy a couple cocktails on the ice while some friends set up. The objective is to cut a hole, maybe 3X5 feet, through the ice (generally under 3 feet thick), so your "shack" can be placed over the top and allow countess hours of mind numbing boredom staring at a decoy, hoping a sturgeon will swim up to take a look at it. Through the years I've seen several homebuilt ice saws, some like the one pictured. The only advantages I've seen, versus a conventional saw, are the ability to stay back from the water spray a bit and the fact that many of the good people here of frugal descent seem determined to build better mousetraps around an extra small engine they have laying around. The ice cutters that are the most productive are those with a pair of rubber boots, rain pants, and a hand-held big saw. The hand-held saws can also taper the sides of the hole slightly so the block can be submerged and pushed under the ice easier. I guess if you were cutting blocks, as suggested previously, a sled saw would be the ticket, but in my opinion, bring a real chainsaw with at least 42" of stinger, and you'll do well.

It looks like there is a reservoir just above the bar mount. Just wondering if that is the chain oil/lube vessel. If you are cutting ice, do you need to oil the chain/bar?

Tom

v8titan said:
It looks like there is a reservoir just above the bar mount. Just wondering if that is the chain oil/lube vessel. If you are cutting ice, do you need to oil the chain/bar?

Tom

Hard tell for sure but I am guessing that that is hydraulics fluid as it looks to me like there would be something to tilt the blade down into the ice (Assumming that is what it is used for).

Latest posts

Back