Can anyone help me with these 2 old chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was recently handed down 2 chainsaws from my grandfather. Both have been good saws for him but I want to know if they're worth 'fixing up' and if so, where I could find parts for them? Also would like to know if either is a 'good' saw or if both are throw away homeowner saws.

First is a Craftsman 5.2/30", approximately 20 years old. I can't find any other markings on it. Seems to have VERY good compression. All metal except for the top cover. Here are the photos:

IMG00086.jpg

IMG00087.jpg

And the second saw is a Homelite XL, model 10618. It seems to run ok but needs a tune up and probably a carb rebuild. Also about 20-25 years old. All metal except for the top of the handle.

IMG00088.jpg

IMG00089.jpg

Any advice or help you can give with these 2 saws would be greatly appreciated.

What advice or help are you seeking? If they run clean them up, freshen them and use them. If they don't give symptoms so we have soemthing to go by. Pretty vague request you have here...

Asking what is a "good" saw versus what is a "bad" saw is a little pointless (one man's trash is another's treasure-type of thing). You're likely to get a lot of opinions both ways.

I don't know anything about the Sears, but Dad has a little XL just like that one which was actually the first saw I ever ran (about 2 days before I started running his XL-12, but still the first). His has always been dependable with the exception of having to change the duckbill valve for the oiler a time or two. I think they're serviceable little saws and plenty good for limbing/brushing. Parts are still relatively easy to come by, as are entire parts saws should the need arise.

The Sears is a Poulan

Very much the same as a 5200

Good saw but heavy and BUZZY...

Worth fixing up......or if you want to trade out let me know

Very much the same as a 5200

Good saw but heavy and BUZZY...

Worth fixing up......or if you want to trade out let me know

+1. I got the Poulan version of that saw...it's a screamin demon...My dad ran them in the woods when he cutting timber and logging, he had meaty paws like an old brown bear.

Yah but....

Somehow it's much more fun smacking down 395s and 660s and even bigger modern saws with a CRAFTSMAN.

I also hate the neon green overspray everywhere on the poulans

Thanks guys. I realize it was sortof a vague question but this is exactly what I was looking for. i.e. if the saws are decent and worth fixing up or if there was a problem with one that made it worthless or not worth working on. The local shop here tells me they'll charge between $80-120 to work on them and 'tune' them up. They both have sentimental value for me so I don't plan to throw them away regardless.

Any recommendations on where to get parts for them? I'm sure both could use a carb rebuild at least. But not sure where to get parts, manuals, etc.

I'd love to pick up a compression gauge, tachometer and tuning guide as well if I knew where to get them... (still don't really know how to 'tune' the air screws).

Last edited:
Yah they are rare

I don't know why...but the red over spray doesn't agitate me as much

I am almost positive the 5.2 I had was in the Craftsman gray and was the only one I ever saw that color...it said Craftsman Professional may have even been the dark sears green and black

It only came off the shelf when the bragging started about some customers latest super saw from the big 2.

"If you say so.....but I got a craftsman that will cut faster 'n that"

Thanks guys. I realize it was sortof a vague question but this is exactly what I was looking for. i.e. if the saws are decent and worth fixing up or if there was a problem with one that made it worthless or not worth working on. The local shop here tells me they'll charge between $80-120 to work on them and 'tune' them up. They both have sentimental value for me so I don't plan to throw them away regardless.

Any recommendations on where to get parts for them? I'm sure both could use a carb rebuild at least.

I'd love to pick up a compression gauge, tachometer and tuning guide as well if I knew where to get them... (still don't really know how to 'tune' the air screws).
The carb kits are available and there are still some parts available from Poulan.

Sears lists a lot of them as well but it is usually cheaper from a Poluan parts dealer
The super 2/ XL there are TONS of parts 4

Now you know the desirability of the Craftsman so the dealer won't tell you it's not worth fixing and try to give you nothing for it.

Any recommendations on where to get parts for them? I'm sure both could use a carb rebuild at least. But not sure where to get parts, manuals, etc.

Those little XL's are fun as all get-out!! A friend gave me one years ago, and the top end was smoked... I took it to my local Husq dealer, and he rebuilt it, chain/bar, new oil and gas caps for 80 bucks.

I've used that little XL of mine for a lot of log and timber work, where a bigger saw would be too bulky and big for the situation. A fun, fun saw. And a good saw to let the wife use, so she can get CAD too! ;)

The poulan 5200 is a great saw well worth the time and effort to repair. That is also a good size bar for the saw. I have one with a bow and the other has a hard tipped bar on it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help and advice. Sounds like this is on the right track!

Any place in particular that you can direct me to for parts, or should I just go to the 'sponsor' list?

Lastly, is there a 'tuning' guide online? I want to pick up a tach somewhere and a tuning guide and see if I can tune these saws myself.

i carry both saws parts just pm me with your parts list when you get it together thanks

keep in mind my shopping cart system has a rewards points built in the system so if a registered customer orders thru me they get reward points added to there registered acct and it can be used to buy parts with

for example if a customer has 500 points and they see a part that they want that takes 250 points to get they get that part for free

that is what reward pts is so every little bit adds up i just sent a customer of mine a $ 10.00 gift certificate cause they spent over $ 400.00 of tires and tubes this year a Army reserve facility in up north so dont think i notice these things i do right now im sweating while writing this post cause our air condition compressor froze up and to replace a new one costs $ 3000.00 and i live with my parents cause i am taking care of them since they are elderly i dont know where that 3000.00 is going to come from i guess we just have to set here in the hot house and suffer the locals wont even help so dont know what we will do

thats one reason why i wish my online store would get busy but i try to explain myself on this forum and some folks treat me like im invisable on here or something then there are those that are understanding about my situations and with dad having just had lung surgery with a tumor removed and now this has to happen with the air condition compressor and yet the local air condition people wont take payments i know things are looking bad just adds more stress on me is all it is

thanks
calvin

Last edited:
I like the little Homey XL's. 14" bar max, 3/8 low profile, (originals may have been 1/4") pretty strong when healthy for a small saw. Most have no high speed mixture adjustment, just low speed mixture and idle speed.

I like the little Homey XL's. 14" bar max, 3/8 low profile, (originals may have been 1/4") pretty strong when healthy for a small saw. Most have no high speed mixture adjustment, just low speed mixture and idle speed.

John,

I believe this has HS, LS,and idle... There are definitely 3 screws to adjust.

My XL,. my father bought new in 1978, and used it exclusivly after Frederick in 1979, he cut up dozens of oaks after putting on a 16" bar and chain.

The saw was then used after ERIN, OPAL, GEORGES, IVAN, Katrina, and Dennis...Finally after the recent Hurricane, the old XL needed some love.

I put in new points/condensor, cleaned it up like new...rebuilt the carb...saw still blew like new compression. My problem was the carb is so worn out that the butterfly slaps shut even with the needle turned all the way in. Got ahold of an XL-2, and an XL Super 2...both with good carbs..I have enough parts to fix the XL, and make one good Super 2 when i get around to it.

Awesome little saws, small time felling, limbing, small bucking...you run mixed gas and you just about cant hurt them. Usually Reed Valve engines dont rev too terribly high, but this saw is a screamer.

Latest posts

Back