Can anyone help me with these 2 old chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for all the information. I'd also like to know where I can get parts for these 2 saws... I've called 4 places now and all say they don't carry parts for saws this old.

Hey Red. I have one of those Homelite XL's. It won't pull a 16" bar and I think it needs new reeds.

Know where I can get some or the part# for them?

Some dealers have NOS parts on the shelf...many arent willing to look.

When I get my Super 2 and XL 2 pulled down, if the reeds in the one I dont get running are any good, they are yours. Rare to have a reed problem though, but it happens.

i know that mine still has ungodly compression, piston and cylidner could pass for new. The cylinder is bling bling shiny, piston is smooth as silk, no vertical marks at all, 0. The piston and port stay carbon free, and I run it a hair leaner than I probably should.

When I get my Super 2 and XL 2 pulled down, if the reeds in the one I dont get running are any good, they are yours. Rare to have a reed problem though, but it happens.

i know that mine still has ungodly compression, piston and cylidner could pass for new. The cylinder is bling bling shiny, piston is smooth as silk, no vertical marks at all, 0. The piston and port stay carbon free, and I run it a hair leaner than I probably should.

red the reed on the xl 12 im working on was broke in two peices which was causing the carb to flood constantly i notice when i placed the reed valve new one inside the throttle handle it still had a gap i found out why it has two slits in the metal of the throttle body where the reed rests on so now i have to find a throttle handle assembly for the saw

i have reeds for the xl series saws

red the reed on the xl 12 im working on was broke in two peices which was causing the carb to flood constantly i notice when i placed the reed valve new one inside the throttle handle it still had a gap i found out why it has two slits in the metal of the throttle body where the reed rests on so now i have to find a throttle handle assembly for the saw

i have reeds for the xl series saws

doesnt the XL-12 have a seperate Reed cage that bolts to the motor assembly?

Sorry, I misread your last post; thought you were 'online only'. I'll be calling you tomorrow!

nope not just online when it comes to these hard to find parts put it this way i sell alot to other small engine dealers just today a dealer called me up ordered a old mac 250 rewind pulley

i will be on the road tommorrow practically all day cause i need to track down this throttle handle for this customer if no one in jacksonville nc has it then im off to williamston to get one

there is a certain place in jacksonville i called today that has tons of chainsaws in a pile in a bin i asked them if any of them were red in color they said yes so i know i may have a chance i will find one there

i may just buy some of them saws if they are the older saws just to say hey look calvin has the cad

but you are welcome to call me i will need the model #s and what parts you need

Last edited:
actually it has the reed cage that is on the throttle handle in the back part there is 4 bolts that bolt that throttle handle to the crankcase then another bolt on the bottom of the handle

Yup I remember changing those out many moons ago!
They were ok saws and would still be ok for home use
or occasional cutting or nostalgia:cheers: I have and
old mac I may see if ya got the parts for some day
or give it to someone willing to take the time to fix!

Ugh, never mind. I have not messed with this little XL since I got it running, but this post got me interested enough to give it another look see.

I was right about it being a reed trouble, but I found the reed had a piece of junk in it. I cleaned it out and it's fine.

It came with a rotted out air filter when I got it and I think that a part of it was what was stuck in the reed.

Still don't think I want a 16" bar on it. I have to say it's been many a moon since I had one of these apart and while its not my favorite design, it still beats taking one of those PITA mini macs apart.

Ugh, never mind. I have not messed with this little XL since I got it running, but this post got me interested enough to give it another look see.

I was right about it being a reed trouble, but I found the reed had a piece of junk in it. I cleaned it out and it's fine.

It came with a rotted out air filter when I got it and I think that a part of it was what was stuck in the reed.

Still don't think I want a 16" bar on it. I have to say it's been many a moon since I had one of these apart and while its not my favorite design, it still beats taking one of those PITA mini macs apart.
:laugh:

The XL is a pretty straight forward design..

Yeah, you got to remove the motor to do anything to it..but it's a breeze to me.

Remove air filter cover, snaps off.
Remove bar and chain...(1 nut)
Remove recoil/housing and loop, I think 5 or 6 screws.
unhook kill wire from switch
Remove muffler (1 screw)
Remove plug
Remove 4 motor mounting screws

Engine slides out. As you unhook throttle wire. Both tanks come with it.

Ive got it down to a science Ive done it so many times now..

The Mac 100 series/Mini-Macs, etc...yeah, they are tough, but It is only because of the Freakin Damn Muffuggin Throttle hookup they used...

Ive got a Mint Mac 160S that is literally like brand new in the MAC yellow case, original bar and chain...but no spark.

Ive got a coil to put on it...but I just havent summoned to urge to go through Hell again..the coil is sitting in the yellow box with the saw as we speak...

Latest posts

Back