Can anyone sell me a stihl seal puller for cheap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was already mentioned that cost was $130. I don't see a dealer charging more than $200.....

Why not strip the saw down to the seal, take it to a dealer, and pay him to do it? Unless you have 6-7 026 fw seals to do, the dealer should be much cheaper than $130 or $200.........

The seal changeout at my dealer was $50 for flywheel side.
That was with me having the saw ready, all he did was seal out and in!!
Puller price starts to look good pretty quick!!!

Last edited:
Cost to them maybe $130 but they want $340 for it FULL RETAIL. That is at least to the three shops in my area (SF Bay area.)

If someone had the saw torn apart and all I had to do was pull the seal and replace a new one, I would not charge no more than $15.00 plus the seal if they did not already have one. If the told me they were an AS member then I would do it for only the part if needed.

I've use an old paint can opener that has the 90 degree tip and round loop for hanging it up on the other end. grind a little of the 90 degree end so it fits nicely in between the seal and the crankshaft. after inserting it use a small pry bar under the loop hanger end and pivot it off the end of the protected crankshaft like a lever and it pulls straight up and out with no damage to case or shaft. done this several times now on different saws and also 026 and works really well. sometimes the seal jumps out by itself after it gets a look at the contraption about to yank on it!

What engineering school did you go to? I like it!

I've got no idea what the Stihl one looks like, but have you checked the Sears website? They have several different style seal pullers for like $10 to $70.

I'm beginning to develop a dislike for Stihl, it seems like they do their best to make things as Stihl specific as possible. Good for dealers bad for consumers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just a feeling I'm starting to get.

-LouieIV :cheers:

Nothing brand specific about this puller. It would work on any brand saw seal. It's simply one of the tools of the trade. No different than anything else. But Stihl stuff is pricey.

Last edited:
Nothing brand specific about this puller. It would work on any brand saw seal. It's simply one of the tools of the trade. No different than anything else. But Stihl stuff is pricey.

Ok, there must be something special about it wholesale cost is more than twice anything I found on google.

Of course I have no idea what the puller or the seal in question looks like. If it's not specific to stihl is there something else out there that will work just as well?

Lake? Apparently the 026 is particularly difficult?

Hope this isn't coming off as having an attitude, I'm just asking a honest question. :)

-LouieIV :cheers:

Ok. 024/026 and 034/036 flywheel side seals are really small. No tools I tried could get it out. I had to split the case. I think the seal is about the size of a nickel. Other seals are like inch and half in diameter and a screwdriver could get them out easily.

Back