Can anyone shed some light on sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgotwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All my saws are stock and i'd like to see if i can get more production or speed or whatever out of them. So can anyone tell me if going to a bigger sprocket will help? Like instead of a 3/8 7 put a 3/8 8 on a stihl 46 or 36 or 88. I don't really know anything about this. Will i have to change chain length?

Any info would be sweet

all depends

On how strong the motor is and what kind of wood you are cutting..
I will explain it like this say you have a 5 speed tranny in a vehicle.. Sometimes 5th gear might pull you over a hill sometimes you will have to downshift to make it.. Even though usually the difference between 4th and 5th is only 500 rpm.

For $5, just change it and see what happens. Most chains will not require any additional length, but when new can be slightly more difficult to put on. On the 088, I'd add a link.

It will speed up your chain and decrease your torque.

If you are running a shorter bar on a more powerful saw, try it.

If you are maxed out already on bar length stay with the 7 tooth.

Chain length normally stays the same as you should have enough bar adjustment to handle it.

I run the 8 on my 066 and love it for the 24 inch bar. When I use my 36 inch bar with full chisel it could probally use a 7 but I just leave it and make sure not to work the saw in a maner that will bog it down. I like the 7 on anything under 90 CC. For what its worth Im cutting all big oak. If you are in pine you may get away with an 8 on the 460 but Im not sure.

Back