Can cold weather ruin a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jokers, is there an official temperature at which a guy runs into a danger of the saw being set too lean - the higher density of cold air could theoretically cause an ordinarily properly tuned saw to be a bit lean couldn't it? Should a guy retune on principle or only if there's a noticeable performance difference?

Hey RJS, lookee.... fresh meat, a first time poster, sickem Rocky, sickem.
Hi Sasquatchman, never mind me, I was just alerting our resident insensitive, know-it-all jerk of your presence.
Anywho, I never was much at carb adjustment, so running 32;1 makes sense for those lean times.
Hope this helps.
John

Gypo,
I thought you had all of your saws fuel injected and running Nitrous? You'll never get a true 80HP out of your 088KD with a carburator.

Hi Todd, the 088KD is now 880 hp., Steve is sending up a header for it so I can put an expansion chamber on it.
Will take vids next weekend.
John

Hey John you ever heard of possession?
I do believe it's something like nine tenths of the law or something like that...........?
Then again perhaps I will just forward it to you....... I have heard any kind of assumed association with the likes of myself will put you on the out side looking in.

Oh hi Eric, sorry, I forgot to mention that woodsjunkie is being so kind as to bring up Z4lunch's 088 header for me to use, but rumour has it that he now has it on his 7900 Danny built for him, so I guess I have no chances now.
Ken said he will send Steve my 088 header he is building in replacement, Steve should have it by next week or so I bet. Thanks again Steve and Eric.
John

Hi Sasquatch,

I won`t say that there is any official temperature at which you should readjust your carb, but in your climate it should probably be necessary twice yearly or any time you`ve seen a >20° C temp change for optimal performance.

Tweak it when it gets warmest and again when it`s coldest, so that it blubbers a bit at WOT out of the cut. Make a few test cuts and determine where you are getting the most power and try to duplicate that setting in the future, not by number of turns of the screw but by sound and throttle response, and of course, cuts.

If you don`t run on the hairy edge of leaness you will be better off. I always like to run the lo speed a little richer because it makes starting easier and continues to lube the bottom end when you chop the throttle after running hard in a cut.

This isn`t meant to be an all inclusive tutorial on carb adjustments, there have been pages written here about that, so try the search function if you`d like more info and ask questions.

BTW, welcome to the forum, how did you find it? LOL

BTW, Gypo is a liar, he is a carb tuning freak, but 32:1 with high quality oil is good advice.

Russ

Welcome SasquatchMan,

50:1 is fine for a stock saw with a muffler not opened up.If you open the muffler on your MS290 it's a good idea to richen the oil mixture to 40:1.Several guys with moded saws are likely running at 32:1.

I like to run my saws a tad rich.In general,and their are varibles to be considered,a 40:1 mixture in a stock saw will likely result in increased carbon deposits.

Hope you enjoy this site,
Rick

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
I'd be interested in hearing what Dolmar tech, Stihltech, Dennis,Jeff,Dan and other dealers have to say about this.

About what, Tony?

Rick,

What you are stating is "spud farmer logic" or reasoned common sense, but it`s not always supported by fact. If you ever get to talk to any hi performance two stroke tuners you will likely be told that in some scenarios, a lower numerical ratio can leave fewer deposits on the piston dome, skirt, and ring grooves than a higher ratio would. Those scenarios are similar to the way saw engines are run. Wide a$$ open then chop the throttle, then wide a$$ open again. Nothing in between, no midrange motoring. I wasn`t really on board with this initially either, but after some research now believe it. I can`t say that 50:1 is no good because I have run stock saws alot of hours at that ratio, but I do believe that 32:1 is better.

Russ

Latest posts

Back