Can I clean a saw with Gunk Engine Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 028 that I'm going to have to put at least a new piston in. Is the world going to come to an end if I souse it down with engine cleaner and wash it off with a water hose?

Nope to world ending and yes I wash saws with engine cleaner and wash them with a pressure washer, heck I even put them through the dishwasher.
Pioneerguy600

Just be aware that some of the solvent based cleaners like purple power can strip off the lettering on the badges, fade the symbols on the covers and possibly discolor the plastics. I like Simple Green myself, it is safe but it is not quite as quick as the solvent type cleaners.

Purple cleaner is not "solvent based". it's Sodium Hydroxide (found in most water based cleaners) with a surfactant. If you don't want it to be too aggressive, dilute it... I use it at 4:1 max... and 10:1 for mild action. Undiluted it wil eat aluminum!

Most water based engine cleaners are a variation of "purple cleaner".

Last edited:
Purple cleaner is not "solvent based". it's Sodium Hydroxide (found in most water based cleaners) with a surfactant. If you don't want it to be too aggressive, dilute it... I use it at 4:1 max... and 10:1 for mild action. Undiluted it wil eat aluminum!

Most water based engine cleaners are a variation of "purple cleaner".

I was unaware of its composition, it is potent stuff. Sodium hydroxide is lye isn't it?

I really like Castrol degreaser (the purple stuff)! It has been used at one of the local Chevy Dealerships for years... Their 'secret' for getting about anything clean... Even carpet stains.

I like brake cleaner for cleaning my saws too.

There is some GREAT stuff out there called "Oil Eater." It flat out rocks for cleaning saws. It takes everything away and seems to have no deleterious effects on the paint, decals, or plastic.

The bottle says it's biodegradable..... anyone else know about this product?

Update: Check this out...

http://www.clarkindustrialsupply.com/oileater.htm

Last edited:
Does that stuff get rid of sap? I cut down some pines and pi$$ firs this summer, and its all over my 361 #1. Hard to get that stuff off.

Back