Can I make a "Farmi" winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys. I usually spend all my time on the firewood forum but I looked up some old posts about guys with logging winches. I need some advice. I was pretty set on buying a Farmi or Uniforest winch. I have 300 tops to clean up and it looks like the perfect tool to help get the job done. the guy that works for said that we could make one for a lot less money after he saw all the stuff the dealer sent me on the Farmi. I am questioning this. First of all I'm not quite sure how a pto winch works or where to buy one. The Farmi stuff keeps talking about their "legendary clutch". I am assuming if I don't want to smash something all to hell that I need a clutch. Do all pto winches come with a clutch? Also, someone told me not to even think about an electric winch (the kind you would put on a jeep or truck). What's the deal here. Am I embarking on a lot more than I can handle? I can weld anything but, the question is will it work as good or better than the commercial units out there? Any help would be appreciated.:cheers:

Sure you can. Given enough time & money I could probably build a jet plane with a leatherman.:laugh:

Really though, you need to do a lot of research. Use what you like that Farmi uses, and incorperate your own ideas. Keep in mind that Farmi has all the bug's worked out of their product, and I promise that you will have to work out your own bug's. Get prices on your winch, steel, blocks, etc.
Put this figure up against the cost of a Farmi and decide if you want to build one.

Andy

Hey abohac, I've also been looking at the Farmi winches and my mouth hits the ground in awe when I look at them hooked on a tractor at the dealer. It would seem like a neat thing to have. The prices are steep but, in my opinion, fair. I was also wondering if one could be made like you were thinking. I dont know how to weld and that kind of put a prohibitive damper on my creative thinking (I just know how to melt stuff together and get the seam all goobered up.) I would assume it would need a gear box and a load adjustible clutch but I'm just guessing (how else would you take up a load without smashing something all to hell like you say.) And I've also read about Farmi's clutch system and think the point that they are trying to eloquently relate is that they make clutches that don't smoke up in 5 mins. while modulating the speed of pull, under a 10,000 lb. load. I think anyone would want that feature- so dont waste any money on a winch that doesn't have one but, I think they all do . You sound like you are serious about the equipment you run so I bet you would want a clutch like that.
Just curious but what model Deere do you have (I remember you saying it was 100 hp) I'm big Deere fan.

Hey abohac, I've also been looking at the Farmi winches and my mouth hits the ground in awe when I look at them hooked on a tractor at the dealer. It would seem like a neat thing to have. The prices are steep but, in my opinion, fair. I was also wondering if one could be made like you were thinking. I dont know how to weld and that kind of put a prohibitive damper on my creative thinking (I just know how to melt stuff together and get the seam all goobered up.) I would assume it would need a gear box and a load adjustible clutch but I'm just guessing (how else would you take up a load without smashing something all to hell like you say.) And I've also read about Farmi's clutch system and think the point that they are trying to eloquently relate is that they make clutches that don't smoke up in 5 mins. while modulating the speed of pull, under a 10,000 lb. load. I think anyone would want that feature- so dont waste any money on a winch that doesn't have one but, I think they all do . You sound like you are serious about the equipment you run so I bet you would want a clutch like that.
Just curious but what model Deere do you have (I remember you saying it was 100 hp) I'm big Deere fan.
We have a 5520, a 7720, a 8330 and a 1566 IH. As for the winch, the clutch feature seems important. Otherwise, I would have a winch that was either on or off. That seems to be a problem if the log you were dragging ever got hung up.

winch

aroundhere the old timers built their own jammers all the time. pto shaft used small sprocket and cable drum had a large one with roller chain between.a drum brake was behind the cable drum and was controlled by asingle master cylinder.like the new ones-pull down on the arm the cable winds in let off and it releases. more pressure the harder it pulls.I wonder how many millions of cords were skidded with those.

aroundhere the old timers built their own jammers all the time. pto shaft used small sprocket and cable drum had a large one with roller chain between.a drum brake was behind the cable drum and was controlled by asingle master cylinder.like the new ones-pull down on the arm the cable winds in let off and it releases. more pressure the harder it pulls.I wonder how many millions of cords were skidded with those.

What do you think? Buy one at a little over $4000 (from your neck of the woods also) or try to build one?

We have a 5520, a 7720, a 8330 and a 1566 IH.

Wow! Those tracors are no joke! I tested a 5520 at the dealer once and I dream about it alot- usually when I have to horse my 40hp to get something done. I would guess you're going to put the winch on the 5520? It seems like it would be a little more nimble in the woods than the other monsters you have.

I have to tell you that plan was somewhat ingenius! However it does look a touch dangerous. Probably not the best place for kids or loose clothing.

Sense that video I have put Shields on it. Yeah it might be a touch dangerous, But after using it I don't think its as bad as it looks. Using the wheel brake as the clutch the more pressure the harder it pulls ( it not hard to stop pulling just let off)

i have a machine that just may serve ya well, as an affordable select harvest machine. if any body is interested i can email the pics. 6 cylender cummings . 4 wheel crab steer. 4x4 hi low range ,push blade on front, newer 18.4. 26 firestones 99% tread .custom barko #80 knuckle boom loader 1/3 cord clam bucket. can use with or without log pup. will move alot of logs,tops ,or? it can skid ,push or load , just sitting around the farm. i have a newer fabtek and would sell it cheap. good runner , franky 1 231 468 1699

i have a machine that just may serve ya well, as an affordable select harvest machine. if any body is interested i can email the pics. 6 cylender cummings . 4 wheel crab steer. 4x4 hi low range ,push blade on front, newer 18.4. 26 firestones 99% tread .custom barko #80 knuckle boom loader 1/3 cord clam bucket. can use with or without log pup. will move alot of logs,tops ,or? it can skid ,push or load , just sitting around the farm. i have a newer fabtek and would sell it cheap. good runner , franky 1 231 468 1699
I'd be interested in looking at this thing you have Franky. Where in Mi are you? If you are close by I'll just drive to you.

Hi guys. I usually spend all my time on the firewood forum but I looked up some old posts about guys with logging winches. I need some advice. I was pretty set on buying a Farmi or Uniforest winch. I have 300 tops to clean up and it looks like the perfect tool to help get the job done. the guy that works for said that we could make one for a lot less money after he saw all the stuff the dealer sent me on the Farmi. I am questioning this. First of all I'm not quite sure how a pto winch works or where to buy one. The Farmi stuff keeps talking about their "legendary clutch". I am assuming if I don't want to smash something all to hell that I need a clutch. Do all pto winches come with a clutch? Also, someone told me not to even think about an electric winch (the kind you would put on a jeep or truck). What's the deal here. Am I embarking on a lot more than I can handle? I can weld anything but, the question is will it work as good or better than the commercial units out there? Any help would be appreciated.:cheers:

Go to tractorbynet and search build-it-yourself for log winches. I got 13 hits just in that section. Quite a few people have made them.

I have a farmi 351P, if I hadn't found it used, I was going to buy a wallenstein. I was told wallensteins are built like tanks. Good luck!

Go to tractorbynet and search build-it-yourself for log winches. I got 13 hits just in that section. Quite a few people have made them.

I have a farmi 351P, if I hadn't found it used, I was going to buy a wallenstein. I was told wallensteins are built like tanks. Good luck!

Do ya use your winch alot? I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. The saleman called me tonight and offered a $100 off if I'd take one so he can fill up his load. I really don't need it until July. If I could find a used one in good shape I'd buy it.

I use it quite a bit, in fact I used it yesterday. (I also used my wallenstein wood chipper today.) I'm glad i got it, if that's what you're asking. It makes hauling saw logs and limbs so much easier, on me and my tractor. They seem to hold their value well, should you decide to sell it.

I use it quite a bit, in fact I used it yesterday. (I also used my wallenstein wood chipper today.) I'm glad i got it, if that's what you're asking. It makes hauling saw logs and limbs so much easier, on me and my tractor. They seem to hold their value well, should you decide to sell it.

Yes that's what I'm asking. I hate to have a $4000 piece of Iron in the shop that I don't use and can't sell (I already have a ton of that crap!).

Yes that's what I'm asking. I hate to have a $4000 piece of Iron in the shop that I don't use and can't sell (I already have a ton of that crap!).

Buy it, you really won't be sorry. After using it, you will feel retarded for thinking about it so much.:)

Buy it, you really won't be sorry. After using it, you will feel retarded for thinking about it so much.:)

I feel retarded most of the time anyway. The trouble I am having is that my dad is giving me all kinds of crap and says that I should just pull them out with a cable like he has done for 50 years.

Back