Can I make a "Farmi" winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep an eye on craigslist.. recently there's been a few ramsey PTO wenches go for cheap... $225 range...

Hi guys. I usually spend all my time on the firewood forum but I looked up some old posts about guys with logging winches. I need some advice. I was pretty set on buying a Farmi or Uniforest winch. I have 300 tops to clean up and it looks like the perfect tool to help get the job done. the guy that works for said that we could make one for a lot less money after he saw all the stuff the dealer sent me on the Farmi. I am questioning this. First of all I'm not quite sure how a pto winch works or where to buy one. The Farmi stuff keeps talking about their "legendary clutch". I am assuming if I don't want to smash something all to hell that I need a clutch. Do all pto winches come with a clutch? Also, someone told me not to even think about an electric winch (the kind you would put on a jeep or truck). What's the deal here. Am I embarking on a lot more than I can handle? I can weld anything but, the question is will it work as good or better than the commercial units out there? Any help would be appreciated.:cheers:

there was a 10ton ramsey wench used for oil field duties w/PTO for $150. it was huge!

was going to buy it just to have it around, but decided not to :cry:

here's an 8,000lb PTO wench for $200
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/599012732.html

Ramsey winch - $200
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-03-07, 6:15PM CST

Ramsey winch Model 200-R 8000# capacity This is a PTO style winch, not electric $200. or make offer
918-691-8998

01020001040801160120080307769f016cb05e266fe400f545.jpg

well you mentioned something about having a $4000 piece of equipment in your garage. pick me up a farmi 601, jonsered 2171 bring it on over and i'll treat you to some real beer or whisky:cheers:

Isn't that 2171 a hell of a saw? I have two them for firewood and can't speak highly enough about them (Husky 395 is too but a touch heavy).

this is what happens when the snow starts to melt around here, beach is 28"x18', black maple got wet, but it floats pretty good when being pulled by the farmi, i have a video when i figure out how to post it here.

When it gets a little sloppy I park everything and get ready to plant corn. I did get a n.w chain sharpener this week and I guy down the road gave me 300 tops to take care of in the next couple of years. Also the Farmi guy called and wanted to know if I wanted a 501. I can't pull the trigger because my dad and our hired man keep asking me why I need this thing when we already have have pulled a million tops with just a cable. I really can't give them an answer and don't want to go through the grief when it shows up at the farm. Nice pictures.

[QUOTE/] Also the Farmi guy called and wanted to know if I wanted a 501. I can't pull the trigger because my dad and our hired man keep asking me why I need this thing when we already have have pulled a million tops with just a cable. I really can't give them an answer and don't want to go through the grief when it shows up at the farm. Nice pictures.[/QUOTE]

Once your father uses it and sees how much better it is, he'll wish he got one 20 years ago. Just think; if he got one then, he wouldn't have put you in this position-it's actually his fault you have to spend all this money.:greenchainsaw:

Just do it you won't be sorry.

Last edited:
[QUOTE/] Also the Farmi guy called and wanted to know if I wanted a 501. I can't pull the trigger because my dad and our hired man keep asking me why I need this thing when we already have have pulled a million tops with just a cable. I really can't give them an answer and don't want to go through the grief when it shows up at the farm. Nice pictures.

Once your father uses it and sees how much better it is, he'll wish he got one 20 years ago. Just think; if he got one then, he wouldn't have put you in this position-it's actually his fault you have to spend all this money.:greenchainsaw:

Just do it you won't be sorry.[/QUOTE]

Man I like the way you think

well my grandfather never owned a tractor, never owned a chainsaw, horse and crosscut saw blah blah blah. when he sees how slick it works he'll wish he had one 20 yrs ago

Yeh I'm kinda tired of the "we used to walk to school barefoot up hill both ways" story myself. My dad gave me the same crap when I bought a TW6 Timberwolf (he thinks it's pretty cool now). Anyway thanks for the advice

here's another winch in Tulsa... 12,000lb for $300 w/PTO
the ad just popped up in craigslist

Approximate size is 43" L X 20" W X 19" H. Cable drum is approximately 16 1/2" L X 6 1/2" on first layer. Currently has a small amount of old 1/2" cable on it. Has a 7" X 5" capstan on one end. I've never had it hooked up, I took it on trade. This is being sold as is because I know nothing about it. $300 firm. Call 918 740-4689
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/637755137.html

Back