Can I use this cherry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been offered this cherry log and stump. Can I use it for any good woodworking projects and how do I mill it to profit the most from the stump? Or, is it a waste of time?

Thanks
Tom

PS: It's 25 inches in diameter

Last edited:
t_andersen said:
I have been offered this cherry log and stump. Can I use it for any good woodworking projects and how do I mill it to profit the most from the stump? Or, is it a waste of time?
With a log like that you really won't know till you open it up. There might be some good wood in there with lots of pretty figure (crotch area), or the rot might have spread throughout and it could turn into a busted milling day. From the looks of your pics, I would at least saw it open and find out. As for how to mill it, although it would be a pain to set up, I would try and saw through that crotch. As for what to make in the woodshop with it, you are obviously limited to small items. Something like these below that I make and sell at shows. This is a cracker holder.
crackerbig.jpg

...and this is a nutcracker
twolarge.jpg

Latest posts

Back