Can someone fill me in on sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgotwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have all stihls that are all stock and would like to know what putting larger sprockets on them will do or create as far as performance. It takes awhile to absorb what you pros talk about so go easy on me. Also do you guys do these mods (mufflers and sprockets) for your everyday work saws? I've got a couple 088's,046,034'036 and a few 009's.

Any info would be great.

Muffler mods on your larger saws will help, but you'll need to adjust the carb so you're getting a little more fuel. You'll also need to keep an eye on your carb adjustments after you mod the muffler, your saw will be more sensitive to stiffening fuel pump and metering diaphragms, wear on the inlet needle and lever, and foreign debris.

Just mounting a larger sprocket doesn't gain you any power, it changes the load that the motor is forced to work under. Some saws respond really well to a larger sprocket even stock, some don't.

Larger sprocket=faster chain speed,but without enough power and torque can make the saw run like a dog. Experiment a little

Larger sprocket=faster chain speed,but without enough power and torque can make the saw run like a dog. Experiment a little

I think i've got a 3/8 8 in the shop (can't remember why) i think i was going to switch one of my 88's to a 3/8 at one time. Anyway sunday morning i will experiment a little.

thanks guys

Back