Husqvana 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I owned both a 50 and 51 since 1987 . And severed me very well. I bought the 550 last year I had a learning curve. The idle on a auto tune I can not match. Always perfect I did have a little trouble with hot starts . I got that figure out. What I got is a saw that starts very easy and runs very good the sound is not bad. I will say this I will not do muffler mods to wake it up. I ran dirt bikes lawnmower. What I got a lot more noise and less power. My golf would not run with out the air filter box . Most small engines their air flow at speed not volume makes them run right. I know some people are very good and smash a muffler and get gains. The average Joe will say it is Lounder must be making more power. The only way to believe more noise is power is put them a dynameter. I rode small dirt bike a long time I heard take the baffles out for more power. What I got was loud and untuned a lot less. I really like a stock saw a lot less noise. If I need more I can get a 372 or a394 I will never expect a 394 to be a brush saw. To rip the guts out the muffler on the 550 and expect to run like a 394 . I think will not happen in my lifetime. Sorry duds hate me loud is not power.

I was cutting firewood I seen a saw with bark box that would destroy most people ears. Even if did have more power that I never seen before my stock 372 was saying was blowing it away. With out hurting my ears .To hop up a motor takes far more skills than ripping the muffler apart really not that easy. I would like any small engine pro to comment.

I'm with you been running saws for 50 years, never modded one. Never ran any canned gas I've never had a saw blow up or fail. But I've never owned a husky either.

The 550 runs a bit better with a muffler mod, it dosnt get as hot too which is even better than the slight power improvement. You can do back to back test and prove this, it's not just more noise on that saw.
If you dont like loud saws dont mod the muffler and dont worry about it, no one is forcing you to mod it.

I owned both a 50 and 51 since 1987 . And severed me very well. I bought the 550 last year I had a learning curve. The idle on an auto tune I can not match. Always perfect I did have a little trouble with hot starts . I got that figure out. What I got is a saw that starts very easy and runs very good the sound is not bad. I will say this I will not do muffler mods to wake it up. I ran dirt bikes lawnmower. What I got a lot more noise and less power. My golf would not run with out the air filter box . Most small engines their air flow at speed not volume makes them run right. I know some people are very good and smash a muffler and get gains. The average Joe will say it is Lounder must be making more power. The only way to believe more noise is power is put them a dynameter. I rode small dirt bike a long time I heard take the baffles out for more power. What I got was loud and untuned a lot less. I really like a stock saw a lot less noise. If I need more I can get a 372 or a394 I will never expect a 394 to be a brush saw. To rip the guts out the muffler on the 550 and expect to run like a 394 . I think will not happen in my lifetime. Sorry duds hate me loud is not power.
I suspect pretty much any chainsaw would have severed people pretty well 😬

Back