can somone do a break test on this splice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess it would be about 1/3 of the mbs of the rope, because you are only using one strand of the 3 strand rope. Could be wrong though.

Splice

A couple of the office rats I work with are sailors of a sort. I can ask them what they think. To me it looks if for any strain loaded uses.

splice it and send it ill post a report but i gotta say I'm no expert i have a dynamometer and can hook it in a 20k winch and see if it will take that after that not sure if i can break it. its not the most controlled testing but i would take it.

i don't know how to splice or i would do it but i would fudge it up beyond belief always wanted to get into it so when me and my wife are old i can splice while she knits pretty much the same tools figured it would be our retirement hobby.

I agree, texex or a hollow 12 strand work great. I splice up slings for our line crews and they are using them to put 500lb transformers and anything else they may have on poles. Most the time I spliceing a 2k pully into the system to ease the process of moving what they have to where they need it. The slings are adjustable so they can be used on any size pole or structure. I had made these to do our tree work and make things easyier for us, they seen them and wanted them for themselves but couldn't find them in there lineman catalogs. Our company has finally gottin into the 21 century and for the most part has done away with 3 strand and has went to double-braid and 12 strand rope. None of the lineman know how to splice or work with either of these since they are "old school", 3 strand users. I've made them handlines with double braid with hardware spliced in and after using them I think for the 3 strand is a thing of the past. They say the doudle braid is smoother and eayier to work with. Doesn't want to twist with a load on it like 3 strand does sometimes.

Back