Can Square Chisel Be Re-Filed To Round?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just eyeballin it looks like it would work provided they were not over 1/8ths long or you might have to make more than one pass a side.

The picture I posted is about as long as I let them get. I wanted to try a round grinder on them but haven't got one to try it on.

I'm in the same boat as mdavlee, I don't have a round grinder to try it on. Dremel stones would work like crap, they just don't have the life in them for that kind of grinding.

I also clean the gullet way back with round. I've been hand-filing chain since I was 10, so that's 24 years worth. I've wrecked a lot of chain over the years either screwing up, or trying the wrong thing.

The way I do it now is about as good as it gets I reckon. Sure, a guy can go further for fun chain, but I'm talking working chain.

I use a triangle file for cleaning gullets. Round leaves ridges, or at least it does when I use it. It should be noted that I"m running out of triangle files, as I think they were Vallorbe seconds without the corner for chisel grind -- just a flat equilateral triangle.

I can see yer still out there in that vacant field??????

Yea, it used to be filled with burly tobacco... :biggrin:

If you can't entertain yourself, who can ya' entertain? :hmm3grin2orange:

When Stihl or Oregon introduces the all new square-round full comp chain, remember, you heard it here first... :msp_thumbsup:

RSCLK?

Sorry, wayyyyy OT...

i'm in a little diff boat i have the510 silvey and hand sharpen my square. maybe i'll get one of thoughs cheap hf grinders and tweek it to clean them out. and to take rakers down . anymore i seam to be lookin for a lazyer way of doing thing's. now if the right priced swinger falls in my lapp.

I learned that trick from a montanian. :cheers: The 7/32" doesn't let you clean near as much gullet out. You can get 3/4" long chips in most of our hardwood with a nicely filed chain and a gullet that's been cleaned out back past the side plate. I had some soft maple that pulled 2" chips.

Yeah LOLOL,,, My nephew borrowed my 066 W/36"B&C again this weekend,,,,,, to cflush cut some big oak stumps prior to grinding...... he called me Monday and that was his question after I asked him how the saw ran,,,, How do you get your chains so sharp to pull those chips as long as a grub worm uncle Rick?????????

I told him practice makes perfect,,,

LOLOL!!!!

Last edited:
Back