Can you i.d this wood please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
The reason I think apple is because it has the little branches growing everywhere in the trunk, the color looks similiar and he said that little piece was 60+ pounds, Apple is heavy! I cut a bunch of it last year and I'm now starting to burn some it smells great and seems to burn nicely. BTW what does it smell like?

TKO-KID

TKO-KID

ArboristSite Operative
from the first picture I thought Sweetgum but the from pictures near the end I am thinking Apple. It looks alot like the green apple tree behind my house. I will take a picture of it tommorrow so you can see the resemblance. Very dark bark and reddish tint to the wood itself.

Remind to take a picture if I forget.

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
That is locust. Same thing I just put in the stove. Older locust has really rough bark and younger one's bark is smoother, both are very dark in color. The center is a orange color with a creamy colored ring under the bark and the inside of the bark is creamy colored. Just like what is in the pictures up top.
I burnt 3 apple trees all summer at the campground split & unsplit. I always cook on wet fruit wood out there. Anyways, it's not apple. Look's like it was cut recently. Does it smell of apple's. I bet not and if it was apple it would. At least all the apple I've been around did.:greenchainsaw:

lovetheoutdoors

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
thats all ive heard it called around here....who knows...yellow locust has a yellow tint to it and the field locust is more white...and i think there is a few black locust around here.

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Here is some interesting reading about Locust.

http://forestry.about.com/library/silvics/blsilrobpse.htm

In the reading you will see that Black Locust is also called Yellow Locust. It has short thorns when young that are lost as the tree grows but remain on thin young branches

Honey Locust is the Locust with the very long thorns although some are thornless

On the beginning I dobted it was in the UK but I guess there is some in Europe.

I will attach some pictures.

Bill

Last edited:
willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looked like some nasty roots to me. Didn't look like the beech around here bark wise, apple seems more likely. All the locust around here is thorny and has rougher bark. But then again what's over there I've never seen so it's hard to say. Wood that twisted and knotted I normally leave in the woods...

Latest posts