Can ,you ID it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep trying:)
black walnut me thinks

Bark looks like Persimmon, and that would be my guess. What do I win, the last thing I won was a free weekend in Key West the weekend of Harvey, it was all inclusive too.

River birch

Black Walnut

088947d0a413de4d587f79eef44cfffe.jpg

I believe it's an Ash of some sort.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Black gum

Mulberry?

i gave you a clue over in GMT.:innocent:

Sassafrass.

Well, I would like to know how the leaf would be such a give-away, because I have both sourwood and persimmon and I haven't figured out how to tell one from the other by the leaves on seedlings / saplings that have no fruit or flower structure on them and the bark hasn't developed characteristics yet.

Thanks, abbott295

+1 !

:clap::lol:

Actually, I have heard of sourwood, but know very little about it...
Good firewood. Smokes very little coals up nicely but can be like splitting sweet or black gum. It dries quickly. The wood smells like fresh cut raw potatoes when it is freshly split. The leaves will hydrate you and are a dietetic if chewed or made in to a tea or tincture. The leaves are sour almost like a lemon.

I have read that the early moonshiners of early Appalachia preferred the wood from sourwood to heat their stills because of the low smoke and the abundance of trees available in the forest.

Well, I would like to know how the leaf would be such a give-away, because I have both sourwood and persimmon and I haven't figured out how to tell one from the other by the leaves on seedlings / saplings that have no fruit or flower structure on them and the bark hasn't developed characteristics yet.

Thanks, abbott295
I guess I am just used to seeing them all over. The bark looks very different from persimmon after you get familiar with both species IMO.

Back