Canned fuel or ethanol free gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a Kum & Go but it's being rebuilt ATM. They knocked down the old building to put up one exactly the same minus the adjoining Wendy's: haha

Good ideas guys, and I'm in Bethany. Think I'll try canned until I find a source. I found some in st. Joseph at hyvee gas.
hey you live close to Carl, he builds lots of saws, I got one of them :) he is in st joseph

Anyone try "Ethanol Shield"? I am running Red Armor in 93 BP Octane, then dumping/running my saws dry. It would be nice to just blow the dust off them and put them on the shelf once in a while....I am so uptight about equipment I am not sure I could do it:oops:

Since you opened the can it really does not matter anymore if you store it in the can or in the saw.

Yeah....it does matter to me. I just don't store my O P E with fuel in it. Canned fuel or not, it will gum up at some point in time. Stihl Inc. also says to dump the fuel from the machine once you are done.

In all honesty, Ive been running the tru-fuel for a bit. Seems like it works ok, but different opinions have me investigating other sources as well.

Do those cans have a sell by/use by date on them?
If not how do you know it's not left over from last year?

Do those cans have a sell by/use by date on them?
If not how do you know it's not left over from last year?

TruFuel is not date coded. I think it should be. Also, the caps on the can are not tamper resistant / sealed. Again, they should be.

TruFuel isn't the most expensive canned fuel on the market, nor is it the cheapest. But, for what it sells for, all of the above should be present.

As far as I know, there's no way to tell how old it actually is. That sucks! :mad:

I keep ethanol free in my saws at all time. The internet informed me that rubber seals and pipes will dry out and crack. Any truth to it ??

Usually I buy ethanol free 4 stroke gas and mix stihl platinum oil into it.

Walmart has one gallon 90 octane cans for $20.00. Home depot has 32 oz cans of their house brand "power care" 92 octane gas for $5.00.

Beware of true fuel 4 cycle cans that look like a gallon but are 110 oz. WHY ???

I keep ethanol free in my saws at all time. The internet informed me that rubber seals and pipes will dry out and crack. Any truth to it ??

Usually I buy ethanol free 4 stroke gas and mix stihl platinum oil into it.

Walmart has one gallon 90 octane cans for $20.00. Home depot has 32 oz cans of their house brand "power care" 92 octane gas for $5.00.

Beware of true fuel 4 cycle cans that look like a gallon but are 110 oz. WHY ???

I never keep my O P E fueled while not in use. Been doing it this way for well over 50 yrs. and not a single problem. If you store your power equip. in such a way that it gets hot and cold, over time, that can be detrimental. I keep all my O P E in my garage / shop that is temp. controlled.

Lately though, I have been keeping fuel in my Stihl leaf blower, as I tend to use it on and off thru the week. But, that's the only piece that I do.

I can't get ethanol-free gas in my area. If I could, I wouldn't be using canned fuel.

If you are buying ethanol free gas at the pump run a gallon into your car first to clear the ethanol gas out of the hose before filling your gas can.

Having to pay $20-$30 per gallon just to get real gasoline is crazy. We should all be emailing the Whitehouse, calling the Whitehouse, calling our reps and senators and demanding that regular (E0) gasoline be available in all 50 states. Also, end the subsidies for ethanol production. If mixing moonshine with gasoline is good, then let the market determine how good it is.

Also, be aware that there is no law stating that ethanol MUST be mixed with gasoline. This is just another big government f' you to the taxpayers.

Anyone buying canned mix obviously isn't running a saw for a living. I buy efree when it's at the pump, otherwise I buy premium and go on my way........to make a living with a chainsaw.

I wouldn't buy canned ethanol free gasoline unless it wasn't available at the pump. Thank God there's a Wawa on almost every corner around here and almost all of them carry ethanol free gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone buying canned mix obviously isn't running a saw for a living. I buy efree when it's at the pump, otherwise I buy premium and go on my way........to make a living with a chainsaw.

I would think there's very few on this forum that make an actual living with a chainsaw.

Having to pay $20-$30 per gallon just to get real gasoline is crazy. We should all be emailing the Whitehouse, calling the Whitehouse, calling our reps and senators and demanding that regular (E0) gasoline be available in all 50 states. Also, end the subsidies for ethanol production. If mixing moonshine with gasoline is good, then let the market determine how good it is.

Also, be aware that there is no law stating that ethanol MUST be mixed with gasoline. This is just another big government f' you to the taxpayers.

Here in Iowa the fire department uses the can gas in there rescue saws as it can stay in the saw for a year and still be good. No time to fuel a saw with fresh pump gas when you need to cut someone out of a car wreck.

Here in Iowa the fire department uses the can gas in there rescue saws as it can stay in the saw for a year and still be good. No time to fuel a saw with fresh pump gas when you need to cut someone out of a car wreck.

The department I work for uses it as well, although I believe us switching to it has more to do with people screwing up the mixture and burning up saws as we still use pump gas for our four stroke equipment such as generators, extrication tool pumps and fans. As an additional plus the bottles are also a super convenient size. Some of the smartest and dumbest people of ever met I met at the fire department. Firemen seem to come in two flavors, incredibly smart and full retard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back