Cannon or Granberg?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One operator/two power units can be done but it requires quite a bit of fabrication.

Phil

Awesome! I've been thinking about a possible cable system to free up the hands for using a winch and inserting wedges. This gives me a starting point :) or a goal.

Somewhere I read (and I thought it was from BobL - so I would have tended to respect the opinion) that a second powerhead didn't increase speed... or something? I can't remember now (and maybe it wasn't BobL). I would assume you would double the power meaning, what? More aggressive chain? Guessing I won't be getting double speed or anything.

I have an absolute MONSTER of a white oak I need to mill soon which may end up being too big for my 60" bar. If that's the case, should I invest in one of these? Anyone who's used them? Thoughts?

More power means the chain can be more aggressive (or you can push harder) without the saw getting bogged down and stalling. That means you will complete a cut quicker than you would with a single power head.

OK. That's sort of what I was assuming. Maybe BobL said that the CHAIN couldn't move faster (because it could only move at the speed of the other head) but that it would bite harder? Or something? Maybe he'll show up later and let us know. But I guess I can't hook this to my Alaskan without some modifications... Maybe it's time to roll my own milling frame...

There should be no need for extra pushing. What you should be able to do is drop the rakers which will cause the cutter to take a bigger bit. This is what Lucas slabber mills with 20 odd HP), 090s and hydraulic saws on harvesters do.

I got interested in dual powerheads after blowing up a Husky 395 while milling. If nothing else, a second powerhead should keep me from putting too much of a load on one...

Latest posts

Back