Can't get splitter started if its under 30

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a spee co 21 ton splitter with a briggs engine. Its about 6 years old. I cannot get it to start when its cold out, i pulls over really hard and slow. Could i have too thick of hydro oil or engine oil?? It starts on the first or second pull when it is 40 and above.. anyone else have this problem? I have had this problem since the first winter after i bought it new

5w30 synthetic oil. Make sure the primer bulb works and pump it slowly 4 or 5 times. don't just stab at it. Pull the rope slowly until you bring the piston up to tdc before you pull to start. Mine will start on the second pull doing this down to about 10F. I've never tried to start it at colder temps. Single digits are for burning, not splitting. I have about the same vintage speeco.

The last speeco I worked on it was like what your describing was the pump was stuck in high and low
And you couldn't start it without it warming it up
To test this take propane torch and heat just the pump up not the motor and that takes a little while

I tried to put a pump on it but owner didn't want spend money on it but had a 13 horsepower Briggs electric start and it hid the problem for a year before the pump went out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a spee co 21 ton splitter with a briggs engine. Its about 6 years old. I cannot get it to start when its cold out, i pulls over really hard and slow. Could i have too thick of hydro oil or engine oil?? It starts on the first or second pull when it is 40 and above.. anyone else have this problem? I have had this problem since the first winter after i bought it new
I have a 18YO 25 ton Speeco and it has been a hard starter when cold since I got it. I do not use it during the winter but on those cooler spring or fall days I found it helps to park it in the sun for an hour or so or put it in my heated garage for a bit.
Even with the new Briggs engine I had to put on last year, it still starts a bit hard when cold.

The last speeco I worked on it was like what your describing was the pump was stuck in high and low
To test this take propane torch and heat just the pump up not the motor and that takes a little while

I tried to put a pump on it but owner didn't want spend money on it but had a 13 horsepower Briggs electric start and it hid the problem for a year before the pump went out

@hedge hog Is there any way to determine if the pump was stuck like you suspect?

This is the answer right here. It's not an engine oil issue or fueling but the OP is trying to start the engine against the resistance of the hydraulic system.

Yep...Here in the U.P. the Briggs on my splitter won't start in cold temps. I wish there was a clutch to disengage the pump! You're fighting the resistance of the hydraulic fluid.
What I do is use a propane Buddy heater directly at the pump and throw a tarp over it.....After only 15 minutes it'll fire up with one pull.

I wish there was a clutch to disengage the pump! You're fighting the resistance of the hydraulic fluid.

Remove the Love Joy coupling and see if the engine starts. Or pull the engine altogether and try it. I think this is why the SuperSplit has a centrifugal clutch, for start ups, with dual belt drive to the flywheel.

Latest posts

Back