Cant Hook or Peavy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
So what's your preference... Cant Hook or Peavey or Cant Hook with a log lift?

been using a antique cant hook that the foot is about worn out. it's also past time to replace the wood handle. should have been thinking about getting a LogRite instead. http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=logrite&PageNo=1&x=0&y=0

can't imagine handling 3ft + oaks without a cant hook.

so what's your preference... Cant Hook or Peavey or Cant Hook w/log lift?

http://peaveymfg.com/logging tools.html

http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm

15784_L.jpg

15795_L.jpg

15810_L.jpg

CH_060_L.jpg

Last edited:
From what I have read a cant hook is more suited to lumber yards. There's a guy selling stihl 60" peaveys on flea bay. Its pretty much the same as the logrite but much prefer the orange look so I can find the dam thing & it doesnt get left. The lift is going to be useless on big stuff & you dont want one with the shorter wood handle either.

I like the log lift cant hook, got one from bailey's the handle could be a bit longer. But I mainly cut firewood in the 10''- 20''range. I find it useless on lifting big logs. It is handy though for lifting 8'-12' of the tree when it's lying on the forest floor for bucking. I also use it to twist hung up trees out of other trees as I cut allot of small Lodge pole dead pine in very heavy timber. The trees grow close together 8' apart and there in no way for it to fall without getting hung up. The dead trees are usually the small ones don't laugh some are only 8'' but are 40' tall and easy fire wood for me. They get hung up I give them a twist with the cant hook to get them out of the live trees. Sometimes I just look for the small ones that the wind blew over:)

I have both the cant and peavy. I tend to use the cant most of the time now that I have replaced the handle. A buddy has a cant with lift and it's ok for small stuff, but big 30"+ logs the cant is the ticket.

hmmm.. so you think cant hook is better than peavy for the big logs

I have both the cant and peavy. I tend to use the cant most of the time now that I have replaced the handle. A buddy has a cant with lift and it's ok for small stuff, but big 30"+ logs the cant is the ticket.

I think a cant without the lift is more effective. Try rolling a 30"+ diameter oak log up on the lift part of the cant attachment. The weight will sink the leg into the ground.

As for the cant or peavy I find it easier without any lift attachment. But the cant lift works well for cutting rounds in smaller diameter logs.

thanks... using a 60in+ long wood handle cant now. it's slipping real bad due to cant teeth worn out. have already moved a butt load of large wood (3ft+ oaks) with this old cant hook.

so trying to find out if going to a pointed peavy would be any improvement?

if I get a log lift, it's going to get in the way most of the time. so being able to remove log lift is a must. otherwise going without log lift.

Last edited:
The pointed peavy will dig right into the bark. Another plus for the peavy is ya can stick it into the ground instead of laying it on the ground.

Maybe you could weld a piece of steel along the heel of your worn cant. Then take an angle grinder and cut some new teeth into the steel.

Be like new and wont slip.

I have both a peavy and Cantdog/timberjack. I find that I use the cantdog (with log lift removed) most of the time. It's a 60" handled model and works great. :cheers:

View attachment 75402

attachment.php

During WWII, we all know about the Rosie the Riveters who built planes, tanks, etc.

In NH, in the wake of the 1938 hurricane which generated a tremendous amount of blowdown, women worked as lumberjills.

This gal worked at a sawmill on Turkey Pond on the outskirts of Concord.

I've never used either of them but from what I've read most people like the cant in smaller stuff and the peavey in the larger stuff.

I'm making a cant hook but I've got sidetracked and haven't finished it. I'm not going to put a jack on it but thought I'd get a wedge shaped piece of wood that flattens out on top to try and get logs off of the ground.

History of The Peavey

Joseph Peavey

It was in the Spring of 1857 that Joseph Peavey made the first tool to become known as the PEAVEY. With the first tool began the organization of the Peavey Manufacturing Company, which for over 150 consecutive years now has been making Peaveys and shipping them with other logging tools throughout the U.S. and many foreign countries.

The event took place in Stillwater, Maine in the heart of the booming logging industry. One day a log drive became hung up on the Stillwater Branch of the famous Penobscot River. Joseph Peavey, who invented the Peavey Hoist for pulling stumps and hoisting gates on dams, the first hay press, the first wooden screw vice, the first clapboard water wheel, unspillable inkwell, and many other things, lay flat on a bridge overhead watching the men with their improvised prys trying to free the jam. Seeing the unsteadiness of the prys and realizing they needed something different, the idea came to him that he could make a better tool.

So he jumped up, as the story goes, went back to his blacksmith shop and directed his son Daniel to make a clasp with lips, then make holes in the lips to put a bolt through on which to hang a dog (or hook) and toe rings below the clasp to the bottom of the handle. Finally, a pick was driven into the end of the handle. The tool was turned over to River Driver William Hale who pronounced it a great success.

Later, Joseph Peavey made the first PEAVEY using a solid socket, in place of toe rings, with a driven pick. The improved Patent PEAVEY - solid Socket and Pick combined, later to be called the Bangor or Rafting Peavey, was invented by James Henry Peavey, grandson of Joseph.

The present facility of the Peavey Manufacturing Co. is located just five miles down the river from where this historical event took place.

http://peaveymfg.com/history.htm

joseph.jpg

The pointed peavy will dig right into the bark. Another plus for the peavy is ya can stick it into the ground instead of laying it on the ground.

Maybe you could weld a piece of steel along the heel of your worn cant. Then take an angle grinder and cut some new teeth into the steel.

Be like new and wont slip.

I use a 60" Peavey and like being able to stick it in the ground. You don't have to bend over to pick it up.

so what's the advantage of going with a 60in peavy VS a 60in cant?

besides being able to stick in the ground...

I use a 60" Peavey and like being able to stick it in the ground. You don't have to bend over to pick it up.

so - i'm new to all this - has any one got a video of these in action - can't get my head around how it lifts please ?

thanks Stephen

Peavey.

It will take care if you. All you really need to do is raise the log above ground a little so that your saw does not touch the ground as you cut. You do, therefore, not need to roll the big log completely over, just lift it a bit. The Peavey makes all of this possible because it supplies enormous leverage.

Peaveys have saved thousands of sawblade sharpenings and I believe that's why this tool was invented in the first place.

Back