Cant Hook or Peavy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let's say I've got to unload 4ft + DBH tree sections, that's been dropped on to my trailer by a crane. (20k+ lbs load)

naturally I'm going to need as much leverage as possible. so 60in handle is a no brainer.

what I'm trying to figure out is .... which would be better ... peavy with it's spike... or cant with it's sideways teeth. both have the same hook, difference is how the tool anchors it's pivot point.

seems both can get the job done...

Take it from me, buy a Logrite peavey with the stand. I can't believe a tool as well made as this one are still being made, and made in the U.S.A. yet. I bought mine over a year ago and haven't had one problem with it. It's the 60 inch model, attached is a pic.
If you buy this tool, your grand kid's kids will still be using it.

thanks.. I'm either going to get a logrite setup like yours or a 66in Bangor Rafting Peavey. since I've already got a cant hook that could be easily repaired.

really like the idea of dealing with the original inventor's kin folks. supporting American companies should be all our goal. anytime an american company makes a world class product at compititive prices. they deserve your business!!!

------------
Bangor Rafting Peavey

The socket and pick of this Peavey are forged into one piece, thereby eliminating any shoulder where the socket and pick meet. This is the strongest most durable Peavey and is the favorite on jobs involving prying and lifting. It was invented by J. Henry Peavey, grandson of Joseph, in 1873. Fitted with 2 3/8" diameter quality hardwood handles and a Western Duck Bill Hook.

http://peaveymfg.com/bangorraftingpeavey.htm

bgr%20peavey.jpg

Take it from me, buy a Logrite peavey with the stand. I can't believe a tool as well made as this one are still being made, and made in the U.S.A. yet. I bought mine over a year ago and haven't had one problem with it. It's the 60 inch model, attached is a pic.

I have a Peavey Manufacturing peavey in the barn that's probably 80+ yrs old and still has the original handle on it! Not saying the Logrite isn't a great tool, I'm just saying that used properly a 60" peavey or my preferance Cantdog (mine is a timber jack with the stand removed) is an excellent tool that has stood the test of time. For the price of your Logrite, you could buy both a Peavey and a cantdog (canthook).

046 I think you'd be quite a happy camper with that puppy you posted! Think they are about $69 and will outlast you and me added together!:cheers:

For the guy (Stephen) who asked about lift obviously you understand how the timberjack lifts onto the stand? Well what Wood Doc is talking about is hooking on and pulling the log till the handle is on the ground effectively "lifting" the log slightly out of the dirt onto the handle. You can also roll it onto a branch or small round. :cheers:

Last edited:
Definitely prefer the cant hook over the peavey. I have used both. Also used the timberjack. Much quicker to use without that stupid foot, just roll the log and finish the cuts.

I bought the 48 in. logrite canthook. I wanted one that would fit inside the truck.
I've turned 48 in logs 10 ft long with it, seems like plenty of leverage.

Homeowners that I work for always comment on it, never mind the 1100.00 saw beside it.

Mine is painted orange and has a stihl sticker on it.
Pictures really don't do it justice.
It's built like a tank, there'e no doubt in my mind that it'll outlast me and the next owner.

For the guy (Stephen) who asked about lift obviously you understand how the timberjack lifts onto the stand? Well what Wood Doc is talking about is hooking on and pulling the log till the handle is on the ground effectively "lifting" the log slightly out of the dirt onto the handle. You can also roll it onto a branch or small round. :cheers:

gotcha - thanks !!

I use the canthook all the time, I really dpn't know how people move around the big rounds without one.
They don't very easily. For a long log, you can usually find one or two sections that are off the ground just enough to complete a bucking cut, unless the tree is rather straight and you are on dead flat terrain.

Let's say you have a 7-foot, 24" dia. round that could easily weigh 1,500 lb. Without the peavey, my procedure is to make the three partial bucking cuts to get four billets, taking the cuts to within 1" to 2" of the ground or so. Sometimes you can then roll the log by rocking it, and complete the cuts.

However, if it still will not budge, then you look for a shovel and dig underneath one of your saw kerfs. That is last resort, but I have done it to save the sawchain. The worst thing you can do is complete the cut with the sawchain throwing dirt, unless of course, you enjoy the downtime required to sharpen the chain each time that happens.

Last edited:
having switched to square chain... can't operate without some type of cant hook for larger wood.

it's second nature to stop well before hitting the ground. then roll over with cant to finish cut.

whereas before with round chain... I'd keep cutting until I kissed the bark. no more ... with square chain, best to stay away from dirt! one touch and chain is done :censored:

arrrgggg... almost ordered a 60in Logrite Peavy w/log lift option today. ran into closing time... will try again tomorrow...

sure was a tossup between getting a real bangor 60in Peavy or the logrite. both are american made.

checked out the Stihl verson of logrite... local shop had to order it and it was going to cost 30% more to get an orange version of logrite. and I had to drive in to pre-pay... that knocked stihl peavy out of the running.

Last edited:
arrrgggg... almost ordered a 60in Logrite Peavy w/log lift option today. ran into closing time... will try again tomorrow...

sure was a tossup between getting a real bangor 60in Peavy or the logrite. both are american made.

checked out the Stihl verson of logrite... local shop had to order it and it was going to cost 30% more to get an orange version of logrite. and I had to drive in to pre-pay... that knocked stihl peavy out of the running.

For 30% more i would have went with the blue too.

The shop coud have sold it to ya for the same price , my stihl 48 in cant was 90.00

found someone to sell a 60in logrite peavy for $90 , log lift was $27 with $17 shipping. they tried to back out, but did honor posted price. so no more deals at $90 for 60in model.

it's on the way... should have it in 4-5 days..

For 30% more i would have went with the blue too.

The shop coud have sold it to ya for the same price , my stihl 48 in cant was 90.00

found someone to sell a 60in logrite peavy for $90 , log lift was $27 with $17 shipping. they tried to back out, but did honor posted price. so no more deals at $90 for 60in model.

it's on the way... should have it in 4-5 days..
Wished you live closer to me; you could use that peavey to help me tackle this free pile of pine that a tree service was kind enough to give me.

just got in my new 60in Logrite with log lift attachment....

have not used logrite very much yet.... but first impressions is it's a pig!
my old wood cant hook felt MUCH better.

part of it is the hook... logrite's hook is blunt from the factory. vs my old hook was hand sharpen to a nice point. I'll be putting a sharp edge on logrite hook soon.

logrite's log lift attachment make logrite feel even more of a pig. it's flat cumbersome to use with log lift attached. good thing it slip right off. being able to use the log lift was on of the main reason I went with logrite instead of Peavy mfg's bangor peavy.

part of it is probably switching from a cant to a peavy. leveraging from side of round tip is completely different from leveraging against cant teeth.

will be ordering a cant socket to fix my old cant from Peavy mfg.

logrite.JPG

reprofiled hook tip on new Logrite.

it's now got a nice sharp tip, similar to my old cant hook.
now logrite hook grabs good as my old hook. logrite doesn't feel as much a pig.

still need some time to get used to a peavy vs cant hook.

called logrite and requested a tip to convert to cant. they said it wouldn't work... don't see why not.... will construct a cant tip for logrite peavy.

logrite3.JPG

logrite4.JPG

Logrite update...

spoke with Logrite last week about how unhappy I was with their product... seems I had made an expensive mistake in ordering the wrong model.

had been using a cant hook, but ordered a 60in peavey with log lift attachment.... mistake...

Logrite sent me a cant hook tip, they warned that the factory usually presses in the cant tip.

received the cant tip today and eagerly installed the tip. had to drive out the pin holding the spike tip in. then cant tip slide right in. after driving the pin home.

I picked up logrite w/cant tip... it felt like a completely different tool.
really like my Logrite now!!! sharpening the hook and changing to cant tip did the trick.

went outside and rolled a log... felt great! lots of leverage.

found out ... if one needs to do lots of prying, then peavey is the way to go... if one is only rolling logs... cant hook may be better.

cant hook pivots on the cant tip VS peavey pivots on side of spike. both work well, with cant hook having a much more positive engagement.

peavey has the advantage of being able to stick into ground while not in use. still plan getting a Peavey mfg bangor rafting peavey in the future.

Logrite has excellent customer service!

logrite5.JPG

Last edited:
yup.. was really torn between ordering logrite or peavey mfg...

may take me a bit... I'll end up having both...best of old school and best high tech... Peavey mfg and Logrite...

I just received my Peavey Mfg. 48" Peavey today and took a few minutes to move some 40" diameter x 18"-24" long pine biscuits around.

:clap: :clap: :clap: NICE!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back