Cant hook vs. peavey?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No need for the pictures, a peavey can be stuck in a log, stump etc. and will not get lost. Other than that no big diff. I have both, I use the peavey.

I use both also. I like the cant hook a little better for twisting the smaller diameter logs out of a pile.

Peavey. The point is good for a lot of things. Spray some orange log marking paint on the metal parts once in awhile so when you do lay it down and forget about it you won't run over it. Not that anybody ever has.;)

DeanBrown3D said:
Ok thanks all.

Whats the largest diameter those can handle, approx?

I have two ancient Amish cants and love em. Use them a lot. real good for turning spars. They handle what ever the spread of the pawl is versus your arm and the leverage length of the pole.

Arnie

stihlatit said:
I have two ancient Amish cants and love em. Use them a lot. real good for turning spars. They handle what ever the spread of the pawl is versus your arm and the leverage length of the pole.

Arnie

Do ancient Amish look different than modern Amish? :laugh:

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. The peavey is real good as a key. When I was doing utility work we had keys for all powerline co. gates, but not for all municipalities. Parks, walkways etc. that are gated to keep out vehicles, we wanted in with the boom truck. Just get the point in the hasp and snap, works awesome, the muni guys sometimes would show up "The gate was open already" we would say. You can move pretty big rocks as well, the one I have is painted bright yellow. To use it you push it point first over the log with some force, with the arm (hook) hanging down. The hook will then be driven into the log and you can turn it. If the hook isn't stuck in good it will come out under pressure.

I prefer a cant hook most of the time, i have probably 6 or 7 peavys and cant hooks. My favorite is my Logrite can't hook the almost exclusively now a days

http://www.logrite.com/

There is one thing I have found I can do with a peavy that I can't do with a can't hook. That is sticking it into the end of the log with hook on the side or bottom so you can scoot one over with out rolling the log on the mill.

Other than that I feel its personal preference

DeanBrown3D said:
Ok thanks all.

Whats the largest diameter those can handle, approx?
I've rolled some four foot diameter Ponderosa Pine that were close to eight feet long. Flat frozen "pummy" ground. Depends on bark thickness, handle length, terrain, and how much A** you can hang on the end of the handle.

I have one of each. Less than 18 / 20 " and I will go for the cant hook. The point of the peavy gets in the way digging into the ground with smaller logs, but it does seem to work better on a bigger one.
My cant hook is about to become lost in the leaves here.

Back