Cant hooks, peavy's and timberjacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone using one of them?

For those who know, what are the differences between the three and is one better than the other?

Looking to buy one, any recommendations?

Thanks for reminding me, I will be using this for strictly cutting firewood. Not sure if that will make a difference on the recommedations or not.

A cant hook has a blunt tip, a Peavey has a charp point, and a timbe jack *i believe* is either of these two with a jack stand leg on it. I may be wrong on the timber jack though it may only come in Peavey or Cant Hook style.

A pickaxe is the most usefull of all of the logging tools, especially when cutting firewood, saves energy, and your back. You don't have to bend over much when using one, and the axe is nice for chopping off those branches you missed with the saw.

pickaxe.jpg

I use a couple of cant hooks to roll large log sections as I work them, but had someone tell me that for the same size hook a peavy would work better. I haven't used a peavey in a while because the ones I've used are older and I tend to break the tips off.

So heres the question for anyone that uses both peaveys and cant hooks, which one grabs a bigger log using the same size hook?

With my cant hooks I sometimes have to work a bit to get a grab on a say 36 inch or larger section, even using a hammer to work in the hook point. I want to get another tool with a longer handle (maybe one of those fiberglass jobs) but I was wondering if I should consider switching to a peavey style.

What I really wish I had was a couple of old bumper jacks with points welded on them like that book on tips when using an chainsaw Alaska Mill. Would really save some back sometimes.

Check out a stihl dealer that has the 60 inch orange Peavy and Cant hook (we have them both). It's the same as the Blue versions (I forget who) offered on-line, but if you have to pay freight, may as well buy them local (oversize item).

These are Aircraft aluminum and don't break! I have two of them and won't ever use my old wooden versions unless I have too.

The Peavy is convenient as it can be used as a pry bar in big rounds; the cant works well to grip the log. Often, it's just a preference.

Lakeside53 said:
Check out a stihl dealer that has the 60 inch orange Peavy and Cant hook (we have them both). It's the same as the Blue versions (I forget who) offered on-line, but if you have to pay freight, may as well buy them local (oversize item).

These are Aircraft aluminum and don't break! I have two of them and won't ever use my old wooden versions unless I have too.

The Peavy is convenient as it can be used as a pry bar in big rounds; the cant works well to grip the log. Often, it's just a preference.

I'll try to remember to check both out next time I am at a dealer of some size. Bailey makes a lot of money in part because there they available when I get around to thinking about stuff like that. And once I've started an order going I always look for more stuff to add ostensibly to save shipping costs.

I'll probably go for a longer cant hook as I already never go anywhere without a 6 ft pry bar.

I use a timberjack on smaller logs (18" or less) when I cut it to firewood lengths. For larger logs, the hook doesn't open far enough to grab the bark, so you have to roll the log the old fashioned way (getting down and pushing). The timberjack is nice for keeping your chain out of the dirt by raising up the logs, though.

vcallies said:
I use a timberjack on smaller logs (18" or less) when I cut it to firewood lengths. For larger logs, the hook doesn't open far enough to grab the bark, so you have to roll the log the old fashioned way (getting down and pushing). The timberjack is nice for keeping your chain out of the dirt by raising up the logs, though.

I always seem to break timberjacks where the stand joins the cant hook. They sure work great on small firewood sized stuff.

Lakeside53 said:

The blue ones are called LogRite and Bailey's has them. I have the 60"er also and it works better than any wood handled one I've used.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
The blue ones are called LogRite and Bailey's has them. I have the 60"er also and it works better than any wood handled one I've used.

I've seen those and heard good things about them. Are you using the peavey or cant hook style to roll logs?

When I cut and make mountains of noodles, finding my equipment is a constant problem and I like the idea of the blue or orange instead of wood. In fact I often paint my bars and such to help find them, and on smaller items like measuring and marking gear I usually tie a long tail of flourecent tape.

Still lose the occasional wedge.

I use both regularly and will grab the peavy for a big log. On a small log the point is just in the way and stops you from turning the log. I dont have one, but seems like I read that the Logrite has a larger hook at least on the large size. Most hooks are too small for anything up around 36" or so.

aggiewoodbutchr said:

The LogRite is a whole different animal. Like Andy said, it's hard to take the regular cant hook out anymore. BTW, that 60"s has saved my backside more than once.

025, eventually you will need both a timberjack and a cant hook or peavey. I'm a cant hook guy, but I don't really cut much firewood except as offcut from milling. Timberjacks are cool on reasonably sized stuff, cant hooks don't have to be so reasonable.

Mark

I have a peavey and like it. You can stab the point into the log and it'll help you keep from losing the thing. I've also used the point to pry open the kerf when the bar got pinched. Never really used a cant hook, but it just seems the point on the peavey gives you a little more functionality in the woods. In a sawmill, I suppose the cant hook would be better. Six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

stihl025 said:
Chainsaw Master,

I really like your picaxe. Where can I find one just like it and how much should I expect to pay?

Also known as a pickaroon. I bought mine from the local Jonserd saw shop for $26....make sure you get the one with the L tip, others with a straight tip don't hold the wood. When pulling a log, and the tip slips out of the wood, you fall on your ass! Here is a site with pickaroons with no axe...notice the tip http://www.pickaroon.com/

Back