Can't seem to get safety chain to cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So when I got my saw a year and a half ago I got several 20" loops of RM safety chain with it not knowing any better. Last year I picked of a few loops of 16" yellow RM chain for the saw. I cant seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. The 20" loops of safety chain give me a pile of saw dust with a few assorted big chips after sharpening and doesn't seem to self feed at all. The cutters top and side are sharp to the touch. I have been sharpening now with the NT grinder. Last year I did the harbor freight grinder experiment that didn't workout. The 20" loops of chain are at about 1/2 to 3/4 life left and I have kept up with the raker maintenance using the stihl gauge. On the other hand I have just started using the loops of 16" yellow chain and after one sharpening the 16" yellow chain is throwing nice chips with very little saw dust and is self feeding.

So my question is what could be causing this? I don't think it is technique since I am getting different results doing the same thing. Is this something that could be solved using a progressive depth gauge? Or is this just what I can expect with resharpened safety chain?

I am running an MS271. I would like to figure out how to continue to use the 20" loops since I have 4 of them and would like to use them up instead of tossing them. This fall I plain to get a few loops of yellow 20" when the local dealer has his buy 2 get one free sale on loops of chain. I just want to make it through the cutting season with what I have. Any ideas or help is very welcome.

3yzemu4u.jpg

8ygy5asa.jpg

emu3a9en.jpg

vu6y3y9u.jpg

That chain above has 3 cuts on it and the cutters are still very much on the sharp side. When I take the rakers down I take both the raker and the saftey bumper down. The grinder angles I am using are 30/60/0

That sharpen job doesn't look too good. I don't use a grinder, so I can't help with your technique. The top plate appears quite blunt from here. I use exclusively the cheesy little file guides from stihl, and have to be careful not to take too much Raker because my teeth are so sharp. It works the same on PM, PS3, RM1, RM3, RM, and RS for me.

My first thought was also the depth gauges.

It can be hard to see from the photos, however, I have to agree that those cutters don't look sharp to me. The cutting edges look blunt.

Your 'yellow' chain will also cut poorly if sharpened like this.

If you cover postage both ways, send me one or two loops and I will show you what I think they should look like.

If you like what you get back we can discuss technique.

Philbert

My first thought was also the depth gauges.

It can be hard to see from the photos, however, I have to agree that those cutters don't look sharp to me. The cutting edges look blunt.

Your 'yellow' chain will also cut poorly if sharpened like this.

If you cover postage both ways, send me one or two loops and I will show you what I think they should look like.

If you like what you get back we can discuss technique.

Philbert

Philbert, such a generous offer....
Good on you!

This chain is now the donor loop. I took this chain to my local dealer to see what he said. The good is I am doing the rakers properly and I didnt blue or discolor the cutters. He said the cutters where semi sharp but not how he likes them. He recommended that I try a different angle on the grinder. 90* is vertical on my grinder NT grinder so he suggested I try 55* so the grinding wheel is laying a little flatter. What I realized is I haven't had a chance to sharpen my other chain to the point of getting similar results.

Philbert lets talk technique now and I will give it a shot if it doesnt work for me then by all means a few loops will be coming your way. I realize now I have a lot to learn. Thanks for all the help and direction guys little did I know sharpening correctly is an art form

Wow did i make a mess out of that chain. So I just colored the cutters with a sharpie and ran a round file through using a file guide. It took 11-14 strokes on the 2 cutters I did to remove all of the sharpie and reshape the cutter. The cutters I did are really sharp now. Using the grinder it looks like an angle around 50 matches up well. I want to do the rest of the chain by hand and see how it cuts. This is my first attempt at hand filing. I need to start some where. Wish me luck.

You'll get it figured out, it just takes time. Some guys talk **** on safety chain for whatever reason but when sharpened properly it'll cut just as good as regular chains. Ive got a handful of safety mixed in with my other chains because I got a good deal on them. Never bothered me and they still put plenty of wood on the ground.

Philbert lets talk technique now and I will give it a shot if it doesnt work for me then by all means a few loops will be coming your way.

Here is my approach (along with some discussion): http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-filing-height.252582/

Also: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/

And: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/

Some guys talk **** on safety chain for whatever reason but when sharpened properly it'll cut just as good as regular chains.

+1 for most situations. Unless you are bore cutting, or using a really long bar, or doing high volume performance cutting. For most guys bucking firewood, low-kickback, semi-chisel chain works fine if properly sharpened.

Philbert

he suggested I try 55* so the grinding wheel is laying a little flatter.
Using the grinder it looks like an angle around 50 matches up well.

'Standard' angles have traditionally been 30/60/0 for semi chisel chain. Oregon's current charts seem to lean more towards a 55 degree grinder head tilt. 50 degrees is pretty extreme - chains with shallower edges may be 'sharper' and cut faster, but will dull quicker too.

I would stick with the 55 or 60 degrees and focus on: dressing your wheels; and deciding what you want your cutters to look like before you shape/grind them. If you are not getting that shape, figure out what you have to do.

Philbert

'Standard' angles have traditionally been 30/60/0 for semi chisel chain. Oregon's current charts seem to lean more towards a 55 degree grinder head tilt. 50 degrees is pretty extreme - chains with shallower edges may be 'sharper' and cut faster, but will dull quicker too.

I would stick with the 55 or 60 degrees and focus on: dressing your wheels; and deciding what you want your cutters to look like before you shape/grind them. If you are not getting that shape, figure out what you have to do.

Philbert

So I will try 55 degrees. I want to get an angle finder to make sure what is marked on the grinder as 60 degrees or 55 degrees is actually 60 or 55 degrees. Now that I have hand filed a few cutters I like what they look like after the round file when through them so that is what I want to shoot for with the grinder.

Latest posts

Back