Carb Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drill 'em and pry them out. This is oversimplified and you should refer to a repair manual for details. Key points are not to drill too deep (or you'll ruin the carb) and when you insert a pry tool, you need to be careful about the angle. Unless really gummed up, there's rarely a need to pop these, but if you do, find a manual and follow the directions.

Dan

Pretty much what I envisioned... small drill in the center w/ a small sheet metal screw to pull on. Like a miniature frost plug. I've got a Tilotson HS carb that I just can't get enough fuel through the main, irregardless of the H screw setting. The repair kit came with new replacements, so there must be some occasion to open them up. I've got a good illustration and a small engine manual, just wondering if there were any old-hat tricks. I can pull crank seals almost every time with the drill and screw method, so I feel it should work here too.

Boudin before you pull the welsh plugs did you check the screen in the top of the carb.If its a silver colourI would pick it out and change it first as they were a hard press screen and even if they like clean they arent.Use the one that came in the kit .Hopefully it the copper coloured one.There not quite so fine of a screen.Hope this helps.Don.

I would still advise you to leave them be, unless you really need to mess with them.
I have a Walbro carb rebuild tool set, that has this cute little slide hammer
rig for this.

bouden said:
Pretty much what I envisioned... small drill in the center w/ a small sheet metal screw to pull on. Like a miniature frost plug. I've got a Tilotson HS carb that I just can't get enough fuel through the main, irregardless of the H screw setting. The repair kit came with new replacements, so there must be some occasion to open them up. I've got a good illustration and a small engine manual, just wondering if there were any old-hat tricks. I can pull crank seals almost every time with the drill and screw method, so I feel it should work here too.

Don't drill - you will end up with metal debris, and the chance of damaging something.

You almost never need to take them out, and, since using our $50 (or so) Ultrasonic cleaner for the past year, I never have and have had zero failures.

If you really think you need to, just a tap with a tiny punch on one side is all that's needed to loosen them - they are just soft aluminum. The HS plug is large so just distorting it will knock it out. If they are in tight or too deep, the recommended way is to tap (not "drive") a probe into the surface at a 45 degree angle and just pop them out. Zama sells a tool just for the job, but is just an 1/8 inch steel punch ground at 60 degrees (one angle across the round).

Latest posts

Back