Carb tuning question MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheim1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Need some input here on tuning the carb:
-I started with the L and H 1 1/2 out and set the idle to 2700
-Was a little sluggish reving up, so L 1 1/4 readjust idle
-Revved all the way up and adjusted the H to 13500 (with bar and chain, but not in wood)
-slowed back down, re-set the idle a little bit, veryfied the max RPM; all good.
So I sat the saw down to put my tach away and it just stalls. :dizzy:
No big deal, I thoght (it started with one pull before).
I pull on the cord and something is just not right: very strong 'pull-back'.
Is this what's called vapor-lock?
Took the plug out: dry.
Pulled a couple of times, put the plug back in, no more 'pull-back'.
Put it on warm start, nothing.
Put it on choke, starts.
Had to quit messing with it at this point.
Now, I'm just a little confused (as always :confused:):
If it died due to being rich the spark plug should have been wet, right?
That would explain the 'vapor-lock'.
But the plug wasn't wet and it only started with choke on.
I think, I'm just afraid of setting it to lean.

Appreciate any input/pointers/schooling/...

On the L adjustment you went leaner, I believe you should have richened it. Once you get it to idle and rev the way you want tip the saw side to side or nose down whatever. If it changes idle speed it is too lean. Good rule of thumb is once you have gone thru the settings the first time, go back to step 1 and re check all your settings and if you change anything go thru them again till you don't have to make changes. Then make a cut and last but not least after making that cut, check the plug for color just to double check your H setting when under load.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll give that a try the next time.
Maybe the fact that I'm using a 044 carb (HD-17) instead of the 460 carb (HD-16) makes a difference from normal operation as well. ?

when i set my saws fir the first time i scre the L and H in untill they lightly seat then openm them back up 1 turn and smidge. i then get set the idle were i want it at this point.
then i lean the L screw till the saw doesnt want to idel any more. thats where i no its running out of fuel at idle so ill richn a smidge from there if its to lean it kinda fluctuat uo and down up and down and maybe stumble and die. if its doing this ill richn it till the idle is smooth.. ounce i get the idle smooth ill blip the throttle and see how it responds.. it should easily acelerate. it shouldnt fall on its face or bog and die.

then after tweakn it so it acelerates just how i like. were talking just barely tweaking the L screw now. then i may need to slightly adjust the LA idle scre now. i set it so the chain doesnt turn.

then tune the H so it just barely burbles at wot and it should run very good.

Latest posts

Back