Carbon remover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The question came up awhile back about the proper tool used to remove carbon. Well, I stumbled upon a product that works quit well. Its made by Mercury Marine and is called Power Tune. The directions call for the stuff to be sprayed intoa running engine. Not wanting to subject any of my equipment to the resdue left over from the treatment I applied it to a cylinder that was removed from the machine. I basicaly removed the cylinder, inverted it, flooded the chamber with the aersol mixture, waited several days and then removed the buildup with a tooth brush. I also made a close off panel out of aluminum plate and rubber innner tube to block off the exhaust port. With the cylinder flooded with the mixture all carbon was removed in two days time. It would have been done sooner, but I did not try to scrub it till the second day. FWIW the cylinder in question was off of a 94 jonsered brush cutter that was run on tcw3 boat oil since new. The head and exhaust port had very heavy carbon residue.

Last edited:
I have been doing the same with Techron bought at Walmart, $8 a pint, soak for a couple of days, take out and let dry, after about a day, carbon will just dry up and flake off. WORKS...

Gasket & paint remover spray will also dissolve carbon very well.

It is all made with methelyene chloride (nasty carcinigant, be careful)

It works great though, you can't beat it.

Carbon Remover in the Gas/Oil Mix?

Is there anything you can add to the gas/oil mix to disolve and blow out carbon deposits as the engine runs? I've gone to all synthetic, Amsoil, on practically everything, so I'd like to clean out the old carbon for good.
Thanks!
U

Well Ben better late than never I guess. At least next time I will have somethig in the arsenal to use. I tried some stuf by OMC that was intended to add to gas and keep it from forming in the first place. About a week of soaking and it did virtually nothing to disolve any of the carbon I had on the cylinder.

Amsoil also cures gout!

Pouring crushed ice and water into the carb throat slowly while
revving the saw at 8,000 rpm on the night of a full moon is the
best way to remove carbon, but it must be at precisely midnight,
why do you ask?

Fish, Is there any truth to the rumor that Schnapps and crushed ice will work when poured thru the carb throat during the dark hours of a new moon?

I believe that would be a bimbo's throat to see a moon!

I would think using a carbon removing compound on a running 2 cycle would be a very risky practice. Four cycles maybe, 2 cycles no.
I agree. The idea of freeing up abrasive carbon particles to run through your engine is a bad one. Thats why I used it the way I did.

a different take

Ok heres another carbon question, but not on a saw. I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with the 360 that I use to haul stuff with. I have terrible spark knock when under load. This has been a well documented problem with these engines and several service bulletins ahve come out, but no real fixes, just lots of ways for the dealer to make cash. One garage was telling me they could take off my air cleaner, run the engine and pour this can of stuff down into the "carbuerator" slowly, the when 1/2 of the can was gone they would dump in the rest. This would cause the engine to stall out. Then they would leave it set overnight, and fire it up the next day. This is supposed to remove the carbon buildup in the cylinders, and eliminate or at least reduce the spark knock. Well I dont really feel like paying them $200 to dump a can of stuff in my engine taht I can do myself. I asked what the can would be, and they told me they would order it from the dealer. Like I believe that one! So, any ideas what this might be in the magic can? Second, and maybe I am lost and confused, but if a car has EFI, what the heck is a carbuerator there for?
Just random thoughts before heading off to the woods for the weekend. Oh yeah, I haul chainsaws in my truck.

I have done the injector cleaner and the premium gas route a couple times. it gets better, but does not go away. I have hopes to get rid of the buildup and have it run good again.

Lots of yellow ones, 2 blue ones, and now a couple... hey what color is that? redish orangeish? well a new 046 and 066 have joined the family! I am having a blast with those. I had a portable sawmill come up and saw about 1000bf up for me. I loaded the slabs onto my trailer, strapped them down tight and towed it home. When I got there fired up the big bar and cut right through the whole stack in one shot. Instant face cord!

JohnV, I don't know if that engine yet uses a distributor, but I'd just back it (or whatever may have replaced it) off a couple degrees.  And I certainly wouldn't run any higher octane fuel than what's called for in the manual.

Obligatory "chainsaw".

Glen

Back