Carbs ethanol mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rust or the jelly? I've typically attributed both to ethanol for the same reason as om717 mentioned. It attracts moisture and rusts the steel and corrodes the alloy.
I find it interesting how that jelly **** always smells like turpentine or paint thinner, and never like Vodka or Everclear.

Most times when I dump the mix that is ethanol and let it set. You can see the water from moisture absorbed into it over time in the clear jar.

Do what you like. I know what I see here. :yes: :drinkingcoffee: :rolleyes:

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/4-things-you-need-to-know-about-ethanol-fuel

Ethanol ABSORBS WATER​

Being highly hygroscopic, ethanol will enable whatever fuel it's blended with to absorb more water. Water in fuel is rarely a good thing, and causes a number of problems for the equipment that uses that fuel. One big problem is a tendency that is called phase separation, which relates to the fact that an E10 or E15 ethanol blend can only absorb so much water.

When I get a chance I'll give it a watch. Never hurts to try and learn a bit more.
Just FYI Sean, this movie is not about the effects of ethanol in small engines, it's more about how "Big Oil" subverts truth with lies. And that as Americans we should have freedom at the pump, the choice to choose any fuel or alternative fuel we want.

Yeah...it's all our imagination that ethanol gums up, corrodes and clogs carburetors with gunk and crystallized snot. I don't give AF if it's because of the water it attracts, it's 100% caused by ethanol.
Here was the float bowl from the last unfortunate carburetor I repaired that was left sitting with ethanol gas in it. The kind of crap that never happened before the ethanol lobby put that s--t in gasoline.
I had to strip the carburetor down completely and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner, and clean the passages with a torch cleaning kit before it would run.
One of MANY carbs I've repaired with ethanol damage.

Attachments

• 20210610_191935.jpg
    20210610_191935.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Yeah...it's all our imagination that ethanol gums up, corrodes and clogs carburetors with gunk and crystallized snot. I don't give AF if it's because of the water it attracts, it's 100% caused by ethanol.
Here was the float bowl from the last unfortunate carburetor I repaired that was left sitting with ethanol gas in it. The kind of crap that never happened before the ethanol lobby put that s--t in gasoline.
I had to strip the carburetor down completely and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner, and clean the passages with a torch cleaning kit before it would run.
One of MANY carbs I've repaired with ethanol damage.
Like I said, That's not Ethanol. It's the High Aromatic Gasoline, AKA "Reformulated Gasoline"

I don't agree. That site makes several straw man claims and makes specious comparisons which don't apply.

You leave a cotton ball out, of course it won't get saturated with water, but if you dry one out to 0% moisture content and then leave it out, it'll absolutely pull moisture out of the air until it's at 20% or whatever. Just like firewood, which we're all familiar with on this site.

Ethanol is the same way. Getting it to 100% ethanol 0% water alone takes some doing, and it won't stay there long, unsealed.

Carbs are zinc, not aluminum.

I don't agree. That site makes several straw man claims and makes specious comparisons which don't apply.

You leave a cotton ball out, of course it won't get saturated with water, but if you dry one out to 0% moisture content and then leave it out, it'll absolutely pull moisture out of the air until it's at 20% or whatever. Just like firewood, which we're all familiar with on this site.

Ethanol is the same way. Getting it to 100% ethanol 0% water alone takes some doing, and it won't stay there long, unsealed.

Carbs are zinc, not aluminum.
Carburetors that are made of Zinc have a green tint, not grey or silver.
"pulling moisture out of the air" is also a fallacy, The event you are referring to is called condensation. Does cold glass "pull" moisture out the air?, or is water vapor landing on it and collecting into droplets?
condensation-pic-768x512.jpg

Process of Condensation

"Just like any other matter, water also consists of molecules. The molecules are energetic, fast-moving and far apart when they are in the form of vapor. Thus, when this vapor bumps into cooler temperatures, they become the opposite. That is, they get slower, lesser energetic and drift closer. Subsequently, the vapor turns into liquid upon reaching a threshold energy level."

Fuel should always be stored in an "air tight" "sealed" container where atmospheric water vapor can not land in it.

Like I said, That's not Ethanol. It's the High Aromatic Gasoline, AKA "Reformulated Gasoline"
Reformulated gas isn't even distributed where I live (Western NY). Here is the breakdown per the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline
I am fortunate that ethanol-free gas is available in my area. I buy nothing but 90 octane ethanol-free for everything off-road. I've had ethanol free gas keep viable for literally 3 - 5 years. And none of the detrimental effects to fuel systems.

Also, of course you can pull moisture from the air, that's what dessicants like silica gel packets and Damp-Rid are for.

And RFG limits aromatics content..
And RFG is only mandated in 9 major cites-Baltimore, Chicago, Hartford, Houston, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York City, Philadelphia, and San Diego.
If you live outside these areas your not seeing RFG fuel in all likelihood.
The overall level of ignorance in fuels in this country is ridiculous and some posters on this thread are a great example.
I'm actually making gasoline for fun and profit as I type this. Latest lab results show nearly zero benzene and xylene and single digit toluene levels. Benzene, Toluene and Xylene are the aromatics that can be found in gasoline BTW.

Reformulated gas isn't even distributed where I live (Western NY). Here is the breakdown per the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline
I am fortunate that ethanol-free gas is available in my area. I buy nothing but 90 octane ethanol-free for everything off-road. I've had ethanol free gas keep viable for literally 3 - 5 years. And none of the detrimental effects to fuel systems.

Also, of course you can pull moisture from the air, that's what dessicants like silica gel packets and Damp-Rid are for.
Even conventional non-Oxy fuel will have a high Aromatic content.
Opera Snapshot_2021-10-17_195338_w3apps.phillips66.com.pngOpera Snapshot_2021-10-17_195430_w3apps.phillips66.com.png
Ethanol is not a Desiccant. And desiccants still require a physical contact to ADSORB moisture.

Attachments

• Conventional Non-Oxy Fuel msds.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 1
Fact....but you won't convince anyone here of that. Ethanol get the blame everytime. OEMs have been geared up for ethanol use for decades. It's the poor gas and what's in it that's the problem.
Wow! I'm glad I am not alone!!
Thank you!

Even conventional non-Oxy fuel will have a high Aromatic content.
View attachment 935722View attachment 935723
Ethanol is not a Desiccant. And desiccants still require a physical contact to ADSORB moisture.
You will not see aromatics content no where near that high... a MSDS is what may be present, not what is present. That's why it's listed as a 0-XX.
Ethanol is very much a hygroscopic and will for certain pull water vapor out of the air. It will even pull it through plastic fuel cans.
Regardless of all that Toluene is not hygroscopic and will not cause corrosion issues like ethanol. It can be hard on rubber and plastics in high concentrations. As such your idea that high Aromatic content gasoline is causing the problems people attribute not ethanol is a bunch of non sense.

Latest posts

Back