Care of Soon to be Transplanted Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yesterday we dug and basketed 27 spruce trees, with a trunk diameter of 3.5" to 4". At present they are still at the digging site, we hope to move and plant them in the next week or two. Our problem is that we have had a very dry summer here in Ontario, Canada; we are in a heavy clay area, and the tree spade operator had a great deal of difficulty penetrating the clay. As a result we did not get the size of root balls that we would have liked on alot of the trees. We are already planning on a dilligent watering schedule next year; but we are wondering what else we should do to help these trees get back on track. Should we fertilize this fall? With what? What about fertilizer next year? What analysis?
Thank You John Foster

I would think enlarging the planting hole, scoreing the sides of the hole for eventual root penetration and back filling with good amended soil will help, and no fertilizing, the trees are to young. Oh ya & pray for lots of rain.

Too Young?

These trees are 3.5" to 4" in diameter at the trunk, and average over 10 feet tall. Are they really too small to fertilize?

These trees are 3.5" to 4" in diameter at the trunk, and average over 10 feet tall. Are they really too small to fertilize?
Not too small, but they lack the root volume to use it, so it could do more harm than good. The best thing to do would have been to irrigate before digging, so the trees would be hydrated and digging easier. Now water is still key; don't let the rootball dry out and consider using an antitranspirant.

I would think enlarging the planting hole, scoreing the sides of the hole for eventual root penetration and back filling with good amended soil will help, and no fertilizing, the trees are to young. Oh ya & pray for lots of rain.:clap:

I might consider a quality anti-dessicant like leafshield, will help lock in ambient moisture.

Won't most moisture be unavailable this time of year anyways? With the cold weather in Ontario the plant is going to go through dehydration stress anyways, and probably already is with freezing temps. I don't deal with this everyday, but wouldn't watering in the spring be more important (but you still don't want a dry rootball now). The tree should be dormant now, and although it will transpire, it will be at a much reduced rate, therefore not needing much H2O. Again I deal with the theoretical side, not the applied, so I am not the expert.

I would recomend the leaf shield, and water the trees all the way up until the ground freezes. If the ground is already frozen in Canada then .... good luck.

Back