Carlton 8018 TRAX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody having problems with your 8018 where the cutter wheel still wants to turn after the clutch is disengaged? Sometimes mine will do that even at idol. Trying to figure out! I adjusted the actuator but nothing seems to help. Has anyone ever adjusted the clutch?

check your eng cradle adjustment, and make sure your pullies are alined . if your pullies are not alinged they will grab. can you stop the cutter if you ground it.

check your eng cradle adjustment, and make sure your pullies are alined . if your pullies are not alinged they will grab. can you stop the cutter if you ground it.

Yes it will easally stop. Today I cut a number of stumps and it never did it. Go figure! I will check the alignment. Thanks paccity

Still sounds like your clutch is out of adjustment. the actuator on mine was replaced with a hand lever kit from carlton. Supposedly they had some problems with the electric actuators. Not sure how you can check it with an actuator but there should be some free play when the clutch is engaged but not so much that it grabs when disengaged.

I've got a 2008 SP 8018 TRX and if the clutch is disengaged the pully shouldn't be moving, so the alignment shouldn't even matter----has to be the clutch ??????????????????????

OK guys...The other day I tighten the engine belt and messed with the actuator and now I have not had a problem. Grinding all day yesterday (finally getting busy) and machine working good. Thanks Moe on that hand lever kit info. If I have trouble with it again I will get it. Now I got to figure out my other problem I am having. When moving the machine without cutter wheel engauged, the cutter wheel always floats to the right and I am continously re-centering the cutter wheel. Also when I am cutting stumps, sometimes the cutter wheel looses power cutting to the left like there is a cylinder problem or hydraulic problem. I keep the toggle switch engauged on the wireless remote and after a few seconds it kicks back in with power and continues to cut the stump. It does this a couple times on average for each stump. Don't know what the problem is? Thanks Guys!

I've got a 2008 SP 8018 TRX and if the clutch is disengaged the pully shouldn't be moving, so the alignment shouldn't even matter----has to be the clutch ??????????????????????
your right. i had my 7015 in my head..

OK guys...The other day I tighten the engine belt and messed with the actuator and now I have not had a problem. Grinding all day yesterday (finally getting busy) and machine working good. Thanks Moe on that hand lever kit info. If I have trouble with it again I will get it. Now I got to figure out my other problem I am having. When moving the machine without cutter wheel engauged, the cutter wheel always floats to the right and I am continously re-centering the cutter wheel. Also when I am cutting stumps, sometimes the cutter wheel looses power cutting to the left like there is a cylinder problem or hydraulic problem. I keep the toggle switch engauged on the wireless remote and after a few seconds it kicks back in with power and continues to cut the stump. It does this a couple times on average for each stump. Don't know what the problem is? Thanks Guys!

batteries in the remote? mine will do weird things when the batteries get low.

I will give that a try and now that you mention it they are real old. Thanks!

Did the batteries make a difference? Mine has been doing some of the same things with the feed pressure. I turned the relief valve up a half a turn and it didn't help. I'm going to test my pump pressure when I get some down time. I blew the second poly chain in two years today as well. Some granite chips from a driveway got in to the belt guard. The managed to get between the belt and pulley and were pushed through the belt and cut the cords. There is a gap between the belt guard and cutter wheel shaft that I'm going to cover with a better fitting steel plate to prevent this from happening again.

Latest posts

Back